The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Car runs hot but heater blows cold

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Car runs hot but heater blows cold

all i cant think is that my thermostat is stuck. ive replaced all the pipes, done a coolant flush, just added a new jug of coolant (unless the galant needs more than one jug) and made sure there were no leaks. drove the car and everything is fine and then it starts to overheat, i turn on the heater and cold air comes out, not ice cold but not warm at all. i made sure the recirculate and a/c button were off. in a usual case i would expect hot air to come out and the car to start cooling down slowly. what else could be wrong?
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

check your coolant levels again, not just at the overflow tank but also in the radiator.

and if you didn't already, bleed your coolingt system, the car could act the way it is because there are air pockets in the cooling system

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

how do i bleed it?
    if i can move the thermostat with my hand and its nice and clean does that mean its fine?

throw the thermostat in a pot of water and heat it up. the thermostat should open up before the water starts to boil.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
    how do i bleed it?
    if i can move the thermostat with my hand and its nice and clean does that mean its fine?

Make sure the motor is cool. Remove the radiator cap and just make sure the coolant is somewhat topped off.

Start the car while the radiator cap is off.

Let the car run and inspect the radiator opening and you should see bubbles appear...these are "air pockets" in the cooling system.

As the motor warms up and the the cooling system is circulating any air bubbles should be removed.

After a few minute and you see that there is no air bubbles...then your cooling system is bled.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

there wasnt enough coolant in the car, i thought a jug would be enough since ive never had to go from completely empty, went bought another jug and added it the way u said.

funny i ended up locking my keys in the car while i was running and the rad cap was in there so once i was done the car was just sitting there running with no cap on it. tried unplugging the maf to get the car to go off but all that did is make it idle weird, i ended up reving it up a bit and unplugging it while it was winding down and it finally shut off till i could go call my mom for her to bring me a key from her house

It could also be either the blend air door in the dash board or the water shut motor is not functioning.

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
    there wasnt enough coolant in the car, i thought a jug would be enough since ive never had to go from completely empty, went bought another jug and added it the way u said.

funny i ended up locking my keys in the car while i was running and the rad cap was in there so once i was done the car was just sitting there running with no cap on it. tried unplugging the maf to get the car to go off but all that did is make it idle weird, i ended up reving it up a bit and unplugging it while it was winding down and it finally shut off till i could go call my mom for her to bring me a key from her house
    Next time that happens just unplug the coil packs.

Well, I had issues like that too, and it was the Heater Temperature Control Actuator that has a little plastic wheel inside that wears off. Here's a link to the part -
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Galan...mZ380045607587

I believe I read somewhere a tutorial on how to replace it. But this is just an idea of something that goes wrong with the 8g.

Hello all....

I removed my thermostat yesterday and is that a good idea or not... I was hoping for the engine to cool down faster then using the thermostat....

I think I'm confused, is the problem with your engine overheating or your heater not working?