The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: This Month's Import Tuner on Headers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 33 of 33
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>Ok so spending 5 bills on headers will not get you much HP.
    That's good news....LOL
    But then why is the S/C crowd saying that they need them for the S/C?</div>

The reason why we believe the headers are not adding much gains is not that the factory exhaust isn't restrictive, but rather our engines themselves may be the reason. Once you start running forced induction, the intake and combustion restrictions are pretty much blown away, and you will want a freer flowing exhaust.</div>

I'm sorry, but.... what?
    Why I got half a mind to...ahhh...never mind I just got half a mind.

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    what he is basically saying is that if you have a stock car with an intake and header and no turbo or s/c then you will not benefit from having custom headers. if a car is equipted with turbo or s/c then the headers are more neccessary for the engine to have more breathing room and is less restritive.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(domielover)</div><div class='quotemain'>what he is basically saying is that if you have a stock car with an intake and header and no turbo or s/c then you will not benefit from having custom headers. Â*if a car is equipted with turbo or s/c then the headers are more neccessary for the engine to have more breathing room and is less restritive.</div>

Yeah we all know that. My question is why spend 5 hunch on headers when I can buy a turbo exahust manifold for less then a quarter of that price. If you are stuffing say 8 psi in the engine what is the difference if it comes from a S/C or T/C ? So again why are S/C guys saying that they need the headers? Wouldn't the cheaper turobo mani work just as good?
    If not does anyone know why not?

Yeah you can buy an turbo exaust manifold for less than half the price but you have to figure in the cost of the hte turbo, the intercooler bov, timers, wiring kits and everything. Besides the Headers were test fit headers.
    C.J. Cameron
    RETIRED TUNER!!!!

"Keeping it Simple"

Senior TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>So again why are S/C guys saying that they need the headers? Wouldn't the cheaper turobo mani Â*work just as good?
    If not does Â*anyone know why not?</div>

I don't think that they are limiting themselves to strictly headers; they just need anything that flows more than the stock manifolds.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>So again why are S/C guys saying that they need the headers? Wouldn't the cheaper turobo mani Â*work just as good?

I don't think that they are limiting themselves to strictly headers; they just need anything that flows more than the stock manifolds.</div>

And plus...a SC is not mounted on the manifold like a turbo is...so getting a turbo manifold won't work.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah you can buy an turbo exaust manifold for less than half the price but you have to figure in the cost of the hte turbo, the intercooler bov, timers, wiring kits and everything. Besides the Headers were test fit headers.</div>

What?
    I am talking about saving money on the headers.
    I never heard anyone putting BOV s on an S/C... but I guess...
    I also am not convinced that putting an I/C on a S/C is right ( is it? I don't know if someone deos plese tell me)
    My question is on the topic of this thread.
    Why can't you run a 6 to 8 psi S/C with a turbo exhaust mani and have to pay 4 times as much on headers?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>So again why are S/C guys saying that they need the headers? Wouldn't the cheaper turobo mani Â*work just as good?

I don't think that they are limiting themselves to strictly headers; they just need anything that flows more than the stock manifolds.</div>

Right, that's what I'm asking/saying why would the turbo mani not flow as well as headers ( at least streetable headers at this price range)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>What? Â*
    I also am not convinced that putting an I/C on a S/C is right ( is it? I don't know if someone deos plese tell me)
    My question is on the topic of this thread. Â*
    Why can't you run a 6 to 8 psi S/C with a turbo exhaust mani and have to pay 4 times as Â*much on headers?</div>

so ur gonna run a SC with a turbo too? why would get u a turbo exhaust manifold with a supercharger without having a turbo? u'd have a big hole in the manifold if u forgot the turbo lol

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Lazarus)</div><div class='quotemain'>Yeah you can buy an turbo exaust manifold for less than half the price but you have to figure in the cost of the hte turbo, the intercooler bov, timers, wiring kits and everything. Besides the Headers were test fit headers.</div>

What?
    My question is on the topic of this thread.
    Why can't you run a 6 to 8 psi S/C with a turbo exhaust mani and have to pay 4 times as much on headers?</div>

Dude...you CAN'T use a turbo manifold with a SC...a turbo manifold sits directly between the turbo and the block, they are design to drive the turbo, they have nothing to do with better flow...

the 2004 Ford lightning are SC and Intercooled...and most SC have some sort of built in release valve that acts like a BOV

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dragon300le)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rallifan)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jiul)</div><div class='quotemain'>So again why are S/C guys saying that they need the headers? Wouldn't the cheaper turobo mani Â*work just as good?

And plus...a SC is not mounted on the manifold like a turbo is...so getting a turbo manifold won't work.</div>

What? The turbo is not mounted on the mani either, its after it.
    Who the hell said anything about nounting a S/C on the exhaust mani?

Piony you got it right, that's exactly what I'm trying to do, run a sequential s/c &t/c set up. Better yet I'll make a clutch set up and engage the s/c at will like Mad Max
    .....NOT!

I don't know what hole in the turbo ex. mani you're talking about, the one I'm looking at has only 5 holes (aside from mounting holes). If yours has more then it's a crack, send it to me and I'll try to help you weld it

We are really talking in circles, the point is this. You all agree that the headers are no help if you don't pump the pressure. Now if we have a 8 psi boost its 8 psi weather you run a S/C or a T/C.
    The turbo mani obviously provides good enough flow to run a hell of a lot more then 8 psi so it should provide enough flow for the pressure from a S/C as well.

My situation is this: I am putting the head back on my car this weak. I want to do some exhaust upgrades, but I don't know if I want to go TC or SC (leaning towards SC) so why spend the 5 bills on a headers and then toss them if I go TC. Or I could just put on a turbo exhaust mani with a custom (home) made DP (without the hole Piony) and save 4 hunderd
    Again if a turbo ex mani has good enough flow for the TC why is it not good enough for an SC?

the 2004 Ford lightning are SC and Intercooled...and most SC have some sort of built in release valve that acts like a BOV[/quote]

Dude I know diddly squat about the '04 lightning ( or anything lse ). Did they suff a blown 64' in there?
    I want to belive that running a IC with a SC is ok, that would be good.
    I am still wondering about what RPW said that to lower temp you need to run rich .
    What are the plus and minuses to doing that?
    Also what boost do you have to have before that's a concern?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12