The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: think timing belt snapped

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

think timing belt snapped

I went to start the car after earlier in the day I was just saying how I never had a problem starting it and didn't knock on wood, needless to say it didn't turn over, sounded like normal at first trying to turn it over. Then I tried giving it a little blip of the gas and it fired up for half a second to maybe about 300rpms or so then crapped out, sounded like it was detonating. Upon trying to start it after that, accessory belt is spinning and starter sounds like its spinning a bit faster now, a little whiney sounding too. Pretty sure its the timing belt, if so whats the chances of there being damage done to the valves? Is it easy to take off the timing cover to get a peak in there to tell?

If the belt didnt break while u were driving it then u should be ok. stop trying to turn it over or u may damage it further. The cover shouldnt take more than five minutes to get off i think its four or five 10mm bolts holding it on. When u do get it off if u dont see the belt ripped then try to feel all the way around it on the side of the belt where it contacts the pulley. The belt might not be ripped or torn but the teeth of the belt my be stripped off.

oth the 7G it's 2 12mm bolts and 2 10mm bolts to see the upper part of the timing belt

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Took the timing cover off and checked, saw a small tear on the belt....... the belt does seem to spin when I try to start it, but not sure how fast its supposed to spin, doesn't seem like its spinning right. Could this be the cause of the car not starting and the starter spinnng faster than normal?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Is the belt loose? Can you move it? It may have just skipped several teeth. Either way, spin the crank manually and check the entire belt.
    7g for life!

I have a brand new timing belt for sale. This was purchased from a Mitsubishi dealer and is still in the factory sealed package. It is up for sale in the For Sale section; pm me if you need it...$50.00 shipped.

Good Luck.

If you can have some one spin it while u observe look to see if all the teeth are on the belt. When i had my 4 cyl. it shredded a few tooth and then offset the timing.
    99 BLACK GTZ
    5 SPD 10-12-08
    TEIN SPRINGS AND KYB SHOCKS
    WTB FRONT BUMPER
    WTB CF HOOD
    WTB GRILL
    WTB CF TRUNK