The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Timing or tranny

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 28 of 28
    JSTATL

crazy trannies

I just traded in my 95 LS for a 01 ES and I remeber having the same problem. The problem can easily be resolved by getting a complete trans flush and re filling it with mitsu fluids. Don't get a cheap pan drop and fill either get the entire system flushed and refilled and an new filter. Try this it should fix your problem.

tsb22
    just to clarify my problem, for 1 it sometimes seems to get stuck in gear, different gears, but it seems to me, the rpms are a little high for some of the light driving i do, 2, the car from stop to start, seems to not get in gear, but simply start to roll, and cause alot of vibrations, but normally by removing my foot from the pedal and re-pressing, it "catches" and off i go.....these are the problems you had...?

-94' LS here

BEAST
    Yep, that would be the problem.

ablythe
    Kain and the rest of you guys don't know very much about cars and transmissions for that matter.

Change the fluid and filter once per year for your transmission. The galant uses the KM-175/176 electronically controlled torque converter lock up transmission.

The whole idea of the flush really doing a great job is horsedung! The only thing a flush will do is stir up the stuff thats stuck to the bottom of your pan and redistribute it throughout your transmission. Is that what you want? I think not.

Mitsu fluid? What the hell is the deal with you guys getting suckered into believing that your transmission requires anything other than Dextron III Mercron ATF? The Lucas and Lubrigard transmission fluid additives are good for an older transmission that needs extra care.

Your cars don't need an expensive tranny flush. Your cars don't need Mitsu fluid. Its the same as DIIIM ATF. If its new and fresh, its good. Change the fluid. Blow out the cooler lines if you want to. Inspect and clean the tranny pan for signs of tranny wear. IE metal flakes stuck to the round magnets on your pan. Replace the filter. Use regular ATF and do it once per year. You will get as much life out of your transmission as you possibly can. NEWSFLASH, auto trannies don't last forever.

KAIN WROTE: "Maybe your definition of "perfect" is diffrent from the norm? I have high expectations from my transmissions. I want them to shift like glass, which the Galant transmission will do if treated properly, Mitsu's are some of the few that you can't actually feel them shift under normal operation. If you ignore the extra noise, slight hesitation, more harsh shifts, and slippage than regular Dextron-Mercon will work fine. But, Diamond 3 is better. Kinda like most cars will run "perfect" on 87 octane, they just run soooo much better on 94."

You want your car to shift like glass?? Why??, the smoother it shifts, the more wear it puts on your clutches. Its like taking a 5 spd and riding the clutch all day. I'm not saying I want my car to shift like a drag racer either but there is a happy medium.

I've got news for all you suckers out there. 95% of cars on the road don't run any better on 94 Octane gas than they do with 87. Unless your car is specifically tuned to use 93 octane, then its a waste of money. If it is, your dash will have Premium Unleaded Fuel Only printed on the instrument panel. All gasoline is required to have cleaning additives in it. Not just the 93 octane stuff. The higher octane is needed to prevent pinging and or predetination in a car where its either using Forced Induction (turbo or supercharged) or the ignition timing is advanced. If you guys didn't waste all your money on Mitsu tranny fluid, tranny flushes, and Octane boosters, you could take classes on how to change your transmission fluid and other basic maintenance services.

BTW, if you perform a throttle body service (ie spray B12 into the intake), make sure that you run your car for a minute or so and then install new plugs. Otherwise it will continue to idle like doo-doo until you do.

AB
    Dallas, TX
    96 Galant S
    170K Miles and still smilin' 8)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tunemaker7)</div><div class='quotemain'>
    Mitsu fluid? Â*What the hell is the deal with you guys getting suckered into believing that your transmission requires anything other than Dextron III Mercron ATF? Â*The Lucas and Lubrigard transmission fluid additives are good for an older transmission that needs extra care.</div>
    No, youre quite wrong.
    Mitsu fluid is NOT a stardized dexron 3, and using such can (and usually does) cause massive problems, the primary one being torque converter shudder.
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>

Your cars don't need an expensive tranny flush. Â*Your cars don't need Mitsu fluid. Â*Its the same as DIIIM ATF. Â*If its new and fresh, its good. Â*</div>
    nope, sorry.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Change the fluid. Â*Blow out the cooler lines if you want to. Â*Inspect and clean the tranny pan for signs of tranny wear. Â*IE metal flakes stuck to the round magnets on your pan. Â*Replace the filter. Â*Use regular ATF and do it once per year. Â*You will get as much life out of your transmission as you possibly can. Â*NEWSFLASH, auto trannies don't last forever.
    </div>
    This i agree with.

ablythe
    How many of you guys have worked in a transmission shop??

How many of you guys have worked in a torque converter rebuilding shop??

I have worked in a tranny shop and torque converter rebuilding shop. When they overhaul a tranny they are getting their parts from the same manufacturers. When a torque converter is rebuilt, they all take similar clutch parts from the same manufacturers. All of these clutch material manufacturers specify the use of Dextron III Mercron ATF. So if you have a rebuilt tranny, which many of you do, go with the standard ATF.

To be totally honest, I have no idea where mitsubishi is getting their clutches, bands or torque converter clutches. So the unknown factor remains that mitsu clutches may require some special fluid. In my humble opinion, I don't think that mitsu is using clutches that are any different than any other car on the road. Why would they reinvent the wheel?? It costs too much money.

Now, if you want to flush your transmission because you think you might have a sticking valve body or something, make sure that you have drained the fluid, cleaned the pan, replaced the filter, and filled it up with new fluid first. Here's why... the crud thats stuck to the bottom of your pan will get recirculated throughout your tranny and can cause more problems. If your pan is clean and your fluid is clean and then you flush the system, you won't be plugging up your tranny. If you think that I'm full of BS, drain your tranny and drop your pan. You will have a layer of sludge at the bottom of the pan, I assure you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(tunemaker7)</div><div class='quotemain'>How many of you guys have worked in a transmission shop??

How many of you guys have worked in a torque converter rebuilding shop??
    </div>

Hmm.. I think that being the shop foreman in a mitsu dealer for 11 years qualifies me. And the fact that ive rebuilt or repaired at LEAST 500 mitsu trannies in that time
    I have worked in a tranny shop and torque converter rebuilding shop. Â*When they overhaul a tranny they are getting their parts from the same manufacturers. Â*When a torque converter is rebuilt, they all take similar clutch parts from the same manufacturers. Â*All of these clutch material manufacturers specify the use of Dextron III Mercron ATF. Â*So if you have a rebuilt tranny, which many of you do, go with the standard ATF.</div>
    Thats not true, really. It might be in the aftermarket, but not so much here. All mitsus parts are sourced and assembled in japan (as far as trannies and engines are concerned).
    The crap ive seen in the aftermarket is usually a joke when compared to the quality of almost ANY o.e.m equipment (although thats not always the case).

To be totally honest, I have no idea where mitsubishi is getting their clutches, bands or torque converter clutches. Â*So the unknown factor remains that mitsu clutches may require some special fluid. Â*In my humble opinion, I don't think that mitsu is using clutches that are any different than any other car on the road. Â*Why would they reinvent the wheel?? It costs too much money. Â*</div>
    They, like most, use their own engineering for their own cars. Yes, a generic dexron 3 will work, it just wont work correctly.

Betterthanyou82
    I had the same exact problem, i have an auto tho.. so when it would get to like 30mph it would slip and just stay neutral.. what i had to do was turn off OD and it would shift like normal till it reached third gear and go no farther.

I went to the dealership and they told me about some packets in the transmission that had blown and i needed a new transmission... and that was 2500 a month later, my car runs like new.. except for some ticking noises... i was running the engine really high at highway speed only in 3rd. anyone know anything about that?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12