The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Noisy Engine?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Noisy Engine?

I've come to the realization that my car is 14 years old, and it is not going to act the way it did when my mother first drove it off the dealer lot in 1994. Since I took possession, almost a year ago, I replaced the engine, and the tranny. During the engine repacement, I changed the front and back motor mounts since those were shot. My goal for this car now is to get it running decent for now, until my imagination decides to take it some place else. Currently the engine is not quiet as I think it should be. I can really hear the engine noise coming into the interior of the car. At highway speeds of 75-80 mph, the steering colum vibrates, but I think that is just loose screws that need to be tightened. It is just plain loud. My 1g Eclipse Turbo is not nearly this loud. What else do I need to do to lower the vibration and quiet the engine noise?

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    Do you have an exhaust leak? Bad exhaust mani gasket? Hard to say. Vibration is more then likely warped rotors, bad tires, or needs an alignment. I highly doubt your steering wheel bolts are loose, if they are, thats kinda scary lol.
    7g for life!

Quote Originally Posted by seth98esT View Post
    Do you have an exhaust leak? Bad exhaust mani gasket? Hard to say. Vibration is more then likely warped rotors, bad tires, or needs an alignment. I highly doubt your steering wheel bolts are loose, if they are, thats kinda scary lol.
    No it's not warped rotors or anything like that. I didn't mean the steering wheel bolts but the plastic housing aroung the steering wheel. The vibration of the engine vibrates the housing. The vibration/noise is most noticeable when I put the engine in DRIVE. Not so much when it is in PARK or NEUTRAL. The exhaust manifold gasket was changed when the new engine was put in.

dynamatt maybe... who put the engine in, has it always been that loud since you changed it? if so take it back and have them look at it...
    Mods:
    2 tone leather interior, touch screen navigation, 7inch headrest tv's, 17" Driftz Black and Polished rims, 215 50 17 Goodyear Eagle Nct5 tires Tein s lowering springs, kyb gr-2 struts, rearview mirror camera, diamond black paint custom front and lower grill, Chrome door pillars., and chrome door handles. Powder coated my wipper arms wet black, exhaust heat sheild and my valve cover. 2nd gen led taillights

motor mounts will cause these sypmtoms

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

Its normal to have a little more vibration when in D, its because the clutches engage, and as you know all galants trannies /including manual/ are made to have the clutch engaged all the time, even when the pedal is pressed the clutch is engaged just a little.

You basicly have changed the roll stop mounts. If you wanna reduce vibrations you need to change the actual engine mounts /left and right/. You might want to get some stock ones from the dealer, cuz if you get prothane ones it will vibrate even more with your auto tranny
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Yea, I only replaced the front and back motor mounts, not left and right. Does the mounts have to be OEM mounts? Or can I get some from Autozone or something?