The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New Brake Issue

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    Senior TGC Member

New Brake Issue

Righties when I step on the brake pedal the feeling is firm, I don't have to go too far before the pedal hits enough resistance to keep me from shoving any further. It's almost as tight as when you turn your car off and pump the brakes. However...my car isn't stopping. It's almost like that car wash feel where the people just finished rinsing your rotors and wheels...you can get feel the pedal but the brakes don't feel like they're doing anything. Think it's time I need to bring the car in for a look-see?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

Rael
    You might have to lap your brake pads a bit if they're new to get a good bite into the rotor. You also may have an air pocket in your break line.

Did you make sure and bleed your calipers real good after you did your break work? Usually -- air in the brake lines will give you a Mushy break feeling, but sometimes it can be a higher resistance feeling without actually gripping.

You also did reset your calipers by pumping the breaks a few times after your work to get the right rotor/pad width right?

Rael.

D03GTZ
    If he hadnt pumped the brakes after working on them he wouldnt be complaining about not stopping, he would be writing on the "I just ran through my garage door" thread hehe

from the way you describe your problem, it sounds like your vacuum brake booster isnt functioning properly.

Senior TGC Member
    Wondyful...musta been from all of my repeated high speed braking.
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison