The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Flip down license plate mod

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Flip down license plate mod

Okay, I know the Jap's do it cuz they have camera's that help assist with speeding tickets.

Here's the concept:

Front license plate on springs about 1/3rd from top.
    When you accellerate, the wind forces the bottom of the plate to go back and up making it dissapear. This is also good when you piss people off that drive in the opposite direction. Then when you slow down if you get pulled over or something, it flips down and it's there.

Anybody want to protype this? I would, but I don't have the time. Also, this is probably only gonna work if you have a body kit since there's no place for the plate to go without a kit.

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    i remember you talking about that a while ago. sounds interesting, i might hafta try it...
    7g for life!

Experienced TGC Member
    :puzzled1: ......

Cool idea Jes, a little odd, but cool. If I had a front license plate, I'd try it.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

front plate= law in illinois

It gives the police something to aim their radar guns at :evil:
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

id love to put a switch on my back licence plate to hide my plate # so cops dont know my # lol

Experienced TGC Member
    Cool idea..

But I need somethin for both plates, some cameras snap your rear, some your front, plus anyone who enjoys hit and runs hiding your plates is the best way to assure a clean getaway.

Plus you need both plates in NY, and having no way to flip a switch and bring ur plate back down when a cop is comin by ...

What about a flip style setup like in james bond? Simple to do with servo motors, however because US license plates are so high it will need a big hole in ur bumper to flip it, and it most likely wont work above like 15mph because of the wind force. OR what about a shade that sits under the plate and simple steel wire that connects to a small servo motor, hit the button it pulls the shade up, covering your plate, you could even paint a new plate on the shade so it appears you have another plate...

LOL and now that Ive posted illegal ideas the FBI will be busting through my window shortly..let me go make them some coffee.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

anyone got pic,, cause i still dont get,, well anyone in NJ,, u must have front Lic plate

AkA K h O p A r I.

I Am back BitcheZzZ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>what about a shade that sits under the plate and simple steel wire that connects to a small servo motor, hit the button it pulls the shade up, covering your plate, you could even paint a new plate on the shade so it appears you have another plate... </div>

JIP thats exactly what i was thinking

Tiptronic
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jluv97)</div><div class='quotemain'>front plate= law in illinois

It gives the police something to aim their radar guns at Â*:evil:</div>

thats the truth. my wife just got a warning for no front plate yesterday. sounds like some cool JB type stuff though!!!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MITSU_I4)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jluv97)</div><div class='quotemain'>front plate= law in illinois

thats the truth. my wife just got a warning for no front plate yesterday. sounds like some cool JB type stuff though!!!</div>

Correction*

If you DO NOT have a place to mount a front plate, you don't need to have it. My dad has a 97 Firebird, and hasn't had a front plate on it in years. I haven't had a front plate on mine for 3 years, and I've only been pulled over once, and that was in Indiana.

First one: Red 88 - 245whp/312wtq - HIN: Nightshift - Chicago '07 WINNER
    Second one: Durban 88 - Buckskin - SHP - Auto - Sold to more capable hands
    Next one: White 84 flatty - t3/t4 - VELNAS - More to come

"...Remember: Don't crush 'em, restore 'em!"

queball
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mazarin)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MITSU_I4)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jluv97)</div><div class='quotemain'>front plate= law in illinois

thats the truth. my wife just got a warning for no front plate yesterday. sounds like some cool JB type stuff though!!!</div>

Correction*

If you DO NOT have a place to mount a front plate, you don't need to have it. My dad has a 97 Firebird, and hasn't had a front plate on it in years. I haven't had a front plate on mine for 3 years, and I've only been pulled over once, and that was in Indiana.</div>

Hell i took off my front bracket and bondoed the holes over and the painted the bump so it aperaed i never had on the damn cops pulled me over and gave me a warring i told then the car never cam with a bracket and they told me to go to the dealer and buy one its required becouse of there new cameras above the traffic lights to help bust the red light runners..

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    haha i took mine off too cause my mom backed into my car and broke the bracket so it loocked even more ugle

so how did you paint it? spray paint? i still have my 2 holes there :oops:
    7g for life!

queball
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(seth)</div><div class='quotemain'>haha i took mine off too cause my mom backed into my car and broke the bracket so it loocked even more ugle

so how did you paint it? spray paint? i still have my 2 holes there Â*:oops:</div>

No i actuly rented a booth and re shoot the whole car so it had a fresh nice new paint job then i put one of the clear bras on the front to protect it and boufght new wheels a tires BUT now my mom bought a cadilac with great big ass heavey doors and have put door dings ALL the way down the passanger side of the car and then i let my dad barow it for a couple of weeks and he banged up all 4 of my wheels the i let my mom take it last week to do some shopping while her heater was being fixed and she went down the narrow twisty drive way that goes up into the parking gargae at the mall and banged my back wheel and realy fucked it up.. so now im at the point where i don't give a crap what the out side looks like any more... all that money down the drain.. my car is lucky if it even gets washed any more.. i do keep the in side nice and clean thought..

BEAST
    I think it depends on the state that you live in requiring front license plates. In Kansas where I live you don't have to have one. Actually the only time they even give you one is if you get a personalized license plate. In Missouri, you have to have the front license plate though.

I saw a cool thing the other on some website, can't remember where though. I think it was for motorcycle accessories though. Well what it was, was a license plate cover for your back plate and it had clear cover on it. I think that it had a toggle switch on it so that when you wanted it to, it would get really hazy or something so you couldn't see the plate, but when you had that feature off, it was clear as day. Thats an idea.

Experienced TGC Member
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BEAST)</div><div class='quotemain'>I think it depends on the state that you live in requiring front license plates. Â*In Kansas where I live you don't have to have one. Â*Actually the only time they even give you one is if you get a personalized license plate. Â*In Missouri, you have to have the front license plate though.

I saw a cool thing the other on some website, can't remember where though. Â*I think it was for motorcycle accessories though. Â*Well what it was, was a license plate cover for your back plate and it had clear cover on it. Â*I think that it had a toggle switch on it so that when you wanted it to, it would get really hazy or something so you couldn't see the plate, but when you had that feature off, it was clear as day. Â*Thats an idea.</div>

I forget the real name, but its just LCD. Same as ur watch. liquid crystals sandwiched between 2 sheets of plastic. Looks perfectly clear, until u apply a small electric charge which excites the crystals and the once clear glass blacks out, or turns white.

People with lots of dough have their windows in their house like that. Flip a switch and they go white opaque people cant see in but u get light still. Turn switch off and you have crystal clear window, its like an electric shade.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

IllestGalant
    wow, you guys are lucky.. In NY you get reemed a new asshole for not having plates in the front. I wish I didn't have a front plate, the kit looks soooo much better without it. whaaa whaaaaa :cry:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mazarin)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(MITSU_I4)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jluv97)</div><div class='quotemain'>front plate= law in illinois

Correction*

If you DO NOT have a place to mount a front plate, you don't need to have it. My dad has a 97 Firebird, and hasn't had a front plate on it in years. I haven't had a front plate on mine for 3 years, and I've only been pulled over once, and that was in Indiana.</div>

Are you sure Maz? When I had my old car I took off the front plate after I rechromed the bumper. I cop was nice enough to tell me that I have to have a front plate no matter what. The only exception is if you are from a state that doesn't require them...such as Indiana. The reason you can slide in Chicago is probably because they are so used to seeing hoosiers over there with no plate in front.
    You gain knowledge through learning not by increasing your post count...please search

I've seen this mod done to many cars in Japan on videos and stuff.

It's basically a license plate on hindges that flip the bottom of the license plate back (on a body kit like the shogun) and the plate flips when you increase the speed. When you slow down, it comes back down. So if a cop pulls you over for no front license plate and he goes in front of your car to look at it, it's still there and you won't get a ticket. There's no law that says it can't be put on springs, so tell them simply to Fuck Off.

This is no lie, I've told 3 different cops to Fuck Off for certain violations I was pulled over for that they just made up and tried to put a citation # on. Then they tell me that I'm a smart ass little punk and they write me a valid ticket for tint, but at least I stand my ground. Cops are punks that have nothing better to do then harass kids. You never see a hot rod pulled over for purple tail lights or underbody neons, just the import crowd.