The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: CAI vs Short Ram

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 37 of 37
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just get a CAI...........Don't worry about the water.......(I don't know why everyone is worrying it). Â*You won't get water into your intake unless you drive in water as high as your front bumper.</div>

or ur car is hella lowered. im starting to hear more and more stories about hydrolock

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just get a CAI...........Don't worry about the water.......(I don't know why everyone is worrying it). Â*You won't get water into your intake unless you drive in water as high as your front bumper.</div>

or ur car is hella lowered. im starting to hear more and more stories about hydrolock</div>

this is it my final dicition i am getting cai , cause my car is not even lower its high as hell,,,,, last question if i get heatshield would it effact the flow of air ,, sisnce the filter is cover half the way

AkA K h O p A r I.

I Am back BitcheZzZ

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(K h O p A r I)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PinoyESV6)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NRG)</div><div class='quotemain'>Just get a CAI...........Don't worry about the water.......(I don't know why everyone is worrying it). Â*You won't get water into your intake unless you drive in water as high as your front bumper.</div>

or ur car is hella lowered. im starting to hear more and more stories about hydrolock</div>

this is it my final dicition i am getting cai , cause my car is not even lower its high as hell,,,,, last question if i get heatshield would it effact the flow of air ,, sisnce the filter is cover half the way</div>

its gonna hamper the air flow. depending on which direction u put it. but the filter stays cleaner

ucool80
    ok I am about to get an intake and I was debating over CAI or Short Ram Air. Now I understand the Short Ram air will give the car warm air, does that mean it will consume more gas compare to stock or CAI? would the CAI sound the same like Short Ram Air? Also I will be moving to Canada soon, so ill have cold air almost all the time so is it worth really getting a CAI? I am worried if i would drive over snow or something the CAI might mess up. The only other mods that the car will have is a magnaflow muffler and magnecor wire set.

I can get an Injen Short ram, http://www.wholehyper.com/specials.html, for $125 and the Injen RD CAI on adventon is like $216 I believe.

The AEM short Ram is around a $100 and the CAI is like $208

Keeping all these factors into consideration please advice as to what brand and what intake(CAI or Short Ram Air). Also I want to save some money so personally I am inclined towards the Short Ram Air because I dont have to worry about the water and it probably will be louder, but do let me know if it will make the car consume more gas and since the car will be in canada if it would matter i use CAI or Short Ram.

the short ram will be louder than the cai since the cai relocates the filter to a lower place. i tend to use more gas with the short ram jsut cuz i like to hear the intake scream. and yea, with either intake ur gonna lose some fuel economy, most likely from screaming the intake lol. it happens

if you are worried about water, i'd either get a short ram or get the aem with the bypass valve.

For your situation, I'd suggest the short ram. In reality, the short ram gives better fuel economy than the CAI. I don't know the theory behind it, but I was running 19MPG with the CAI, converted to the short ram and went to 21MPG with no other changes.

Because of the snow, you're right, unless you're prepared to change to short ram every winter and back to CAI in the spring, your CAI is gonna be a little snow plow in anything over about three inches, less if your car is lowered.

I'm hard pressed to believe the HP numbers between CAI and short ram are any different unless I see a dyno sheet. I know the theory of cold air=dense air, but no one here has shown me any hard results on their cars between the two. Despite what the Injen or AEM site says, show me the paper from a Galant and I'll spend the money.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

ucool80
    ok then should i get the AEM or the Injen short ram? I will not extend it to a CAI so no worries there. The AEM on adventon is for $99 and the Injen(part number #IS1845P) on http://www.wholehyper.com/specials.html is for $125 so which one to get?

There really isn't that much difference that I'd be willing to make the call. So base it just on price, I'd go with AEM. But check out the TGC main page. We get discounts at a number of places (ptuning.com for example) and you may be able to find an even better price on the short ram.
    Chip

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

ucool80
    Thanx buddy....thank you all for making this difficult conusing decision easier for me...

Just one last question please.....The Eclipse V6 AEM short ram intake should work on my car as well? here is the link for it

http://www.adventon.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&...=11880&CATID=21

yea the aem for the v6 eclipse does fit.

that bypass valve is overrated to me, granted my galant sits lil over 2' off the ground and the air cone will scrap my driveway in and out but I did get water in my I4 on several occasions thats the reason I'm loosing 14% of compression in cylinder #4. I had short ram but the hot days here in Maryland really requires the cai...had I know this bs I would have gotten another short ram

I don't know if u guys checked out the new Import Tuner, but they did a review on different intakes for the RSX. Now, now, i know every car is different but u gotta check out the results for the AEM Cai on the RSX which gave +20.7 hp and +5.3 lb-ft :shock: ! Also the DC Sport Cai gave one less hp vs. the AEM Cai (+19.7 and +5.7 lb-ft) also astonoshing . For the most part that's were all the missing power might be for our g-rides.....and then again.....DAMN i wish i had the money for the SDS . Looking at these results it makes me lean towards that specific make. Just wanted to pass this along.
    "....BIG got hit in the passenger seat, 'Pac got hit in the passenger seat, now i'm ridin' 'round in the passenger seat..." 50 Cent

Experienced TGC Member HeadAche's Avatar
    but just imagine how much R&D they did to put those numbers up..They just didnt throw shit together they prollly got at least 6 months on those system before they even put them out to get maximum performance..
    I Shook You At The Track, My Boyz Threw Asprin On The Floor, They Said Now You Gotta Headache...

The illiterate of the twenty-first century will not be those who can not read or write, but those who can not learn, un-learn and re-learn.

I had two questions, I just installed an OBX CAI for the V6 eclipse, but I want to install a bypass valve for it. Can someone post a link of where to by a bypass valve and where can I get a heat shield to protect the filter.

My second question is has anyone and problems like I am with when you first start up the car the car rpm's go up and down to the point of stalling. The cai worked good for about a week, until now the rpms are going sort of crazy....Someone please explain....
    I had a 2001 Dover Pearl White Galant GTZ totaled it in 04

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1549311946

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2001MitsuGalantGTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'> I just installed an OBX CAI for the V6 eclipse, but I want to install a bypass valve for it. Can someone post a link of where to by a bypass valve and where can I get a heat shield to protect the filter.</div>.

ok if i rem right,, only AEM,, comes with bypass valve,, but try www.club3g.com i think i rem seing tutorial on how to install AEM bypass valve on other intake....

AkA K h O p A r I.

I Am back BitcheZzZ

That's an ugly rumor which I've said time and time again isn't true. The AEM bypass valve will work on any intake that it will fit on. AEM makes various bypass valves in various sizes. They're all based on the outside diameter of the piping. I had a CP racing CAI, and I installed an AEM bypass valve between the MAF adapter and the extension with no problem. Both ends were 2.75", so I went to Ebay and bought an AEM bypass for $25. The brand of intake doesn't matter, only that the size of the piping fit the valve.

By the same token, I agree with Mante that the AEM bypass valve is overrated. Looking at the design, I question its effectiveness too, but I never ran through enough water to try it, thankfully.
    Chip

but also remember that aem will only guarantee that it will work with only aem intakes. so if u do put it on an obx cp injen whatever and for some really weird reason it doesn't work, aem can't be blamed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12