The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5 spd swap speedo fix

Showing results 1 to 19 of 19

5 spd swap speedo fix

Ok, I searched and came out with absolutely jack.

Anyway, I've seen a couple of Galants where the speedo dont work after the swap or I've heard of the issue. My question is, is it an 02-03 problem or does it occur in the 99-01's too.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

its just an 02-03 problem

thanks Denver

I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

The issue is that the speedo gear was removed from the 02-03s, and the speed calculated from the input/output shafts of the auto tranny. Cali's fix didn't work for me, but I am not sure if my speedo sensor on the tranny is dead - doing more testing. For now I'm just using my GPS for speed and mileage.

wait, so if its an 02-03 trans i will have the peedo problem? not that it matters cuz I gotta postpone the swap anyways cuz of some family matters that came up. Just trying to get my mind off of things but truly the car is the last thing on my mind.

no if you have an 02-03 galant you will have to look into Cali's fix. the tranny from the 3g eclipse doesnt matter. the year of the galant does. 99-01 has the speedo gear still so its just plug and play. 02-03 some rewiring needs to be done
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    Stock Longblock/Stock PCM | Custom Garrett 50-1 | 17 Psi | Weighing 2xxxLbs
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

oh ok. thanks guys! even though I have to postpone it im still really stoked to get it done!

the more research the better. and there will still be little stuff that you missed and will have to just improvise :P
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

Banned
    wow, this is good to know cause i was gonna post the same question. i'm doing my swap this weekend and looks like everything's good to go.

g-luck dude! post up in your thread if you need help!
    The "Tumbler" Is Here
    3xxWHP/3xxWTQ [Current]

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    yep all 3g manual transmissions have a speed sensor plug compatable with the 99-01 g's
    02-03 g's have it built into the tranny as well as auto 3g's however i forgot the years...i would assume 02 as well althopugh it doesnt matter pertaining to this thread

the only problem that you will have is if you have an 01 g...in that case after the swap you will throw a code...everything will still work fine though. to fis it just get an 00 (only) ecu and immobilizer and have it reflashed to work with your key

I got an 00 so Im good.

what is the problem with the 01's? anybody know what CEL is triggered on that year. i bought a 02 transmission ecu and full wiring harness but im just curious what the problem is
    Last edited by underated; 10-29-2008 at 12:32 AM
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

Quote Originally Posted by underated View Post
    what is the problem with the 01's? anybody know what CEL is triggered on that year. i bought a 02 transmission ecu and full wiring harness but im just curious what the problem is
    I don't have access to my Galant right now but IIRC: shifter solenoids, and torque converter. It's not an actual problem, but obviously a concern if you need to pass inspection.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    yea basically it realizes that there is no tranny. the 99 and 00 are shal we say dumber for lack of a better word at the moment. but mechanically everything is fine and it will only matter come inspection...its a simple enough fix though as i said just get an 00 ecu and have the immobilizer flashed at the dealer

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    dude im working on it right now, its all in the wiring.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

oh ok i figured it was something with the solenoids but why is it only for the 01's hmm very interesting
    Brandon - 2001 Galant GST 5speed
    Wiseco // Eagle // PTE // Holset // Turbonetics // Supertech // Blox // Prosport // Vibrant // Innovate // OpenEcu // Mishimoto // Magnaflow // Walbro // XXR // Rotora // Brembo // Hawk // R1 Concepts // Dc Sports

its 01-03 that throws codes

Its just a guess, but I *think* the ECU is expecting some kind of voltage return from the auto tranny sensors - If I recall correctly, it is 701 through 705, or something like that. I will have to go check the codes.