The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: can rust be resolved

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

can rust be resolved

hey i hate f***** rust i got to big rust wholes in my trunk and under my chasis on the fram i need a cheap fix with ut welding cuz i don't know how to weld yet

Proto
    metal flashing, pop rivets, and silicone caulk.

New car :D

"Why fart and waste it when you can burp and taste it!"

not worth welding anyway, if its in the trunk, its probably made of 16 gage sheet metal which you will blow right threw if ur not experienced. ive been welding for years and i still wouldnt even attempt that, it would take forever and wouldnt be a great seal. if i were you, if theres alot of rot, just draw a square around the area and cut out the whole peice, then just get it tack welded if you can on the underneath and use silicon all around. maybe use some body filler or even fiberglass to smooth it out and make it stronger.
    "driving a honda is like being in the special olympics, even if u win ur still retarted"

Quote Originally Posted by ct96mitsug
    not worth welding anyway, if its in the trunk, its probably made of 16 gage sheet metal which you will blow right threw if ur not experienced. ive been welding for years and i still wouldnt even attempt that, it would take forever and wouldnt be a great seal. if i were you, if theres alot of rot, just draw a square around the area and cut out the whole peice, then just get it tack welded if you can on the underneath and use silicon all around. maybe use some body filler or even fiberglass to smooth it out and make it stronger.
    Im having a rust issues on my trunk and i plan on doing this and replacing it with some 14 or 16 gage steel and then tack welding it and painting it with spray paint so it wont get rust
    1994 GS DOHC 2.4L 5spd (For Sale)
    1996 S SOHC 2.4L 5spd (Up and Running)

96galantjohnmcc
    ihave it on the frame right befor it bolt to the suspinsion how to fix that

Try speaking english first of all.

222whp/250wtq

Not Structural use panel glue. Cut out the infected area, clean around the area with a wire brush, panel glue that bitch down and then use some epoxy primer over it to stop rust from coming back. If you want you can be fancy and paint it with whatever color your car is but if it is going to be under the carpet there isent really a need.

If you are going to replace the metal and weld it in make sure that you use epoxy primer first as it is the only primer/paint that is water proof.

Quote Originally Posted by 96galantjohnmcc View Post
    ihave it on the frame right befor it bolt to the suspinsion how to fix that
    ithink you may have the same problem as me possibly.

WANNA LOOK FRESH????
    GET SOME CLOTHES AT KARMALOOP.COM AND GET 20% ON FIRST PURCHASE WHEN USING REPCODE:KN21899

siniGANG represent!

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    If its just surface rust...sand the rust down till its gone. Get some primer that resist rust and spray the area and gets some black rustoleum paint and apply a few coats in the area.

Now if its eaten through a good portion of metal and its missing chunks or metal is brittle and breaks into pieces...you may have to consider replacing that section or if severe getting rid of the car unfortunately.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Experienced TGC Member
    Why dont you use fiberglass?

Coming from old school Rustoyota community here is my 2 cents

there are 2 ways to go at it:

patch holes, paint, watch it rust, repeat

wait for rust to spread to a horrendous amount, replace panel with piece from junkyard, paint the outside with body paint and seal inside with Por-15 rust inhibitor sealant. Installing electronic rust proof actually works substantially too. Take it from guy who lives in Igloos up North of your border.

Toyota has it good because you can buy BRAND NEW quarter panels and rocker panels for AE86 over the counter TODAY so you can always go about your restoration the proper way. You budget is your limit.

But Mitsu......not so much.
    Last edited by hk20000; 11-03-2008 at 09:57 PM

96galantjohnmcc
    http://www.courtesy-mitsu.com/parts_center.htm is good site to get any part to rebuild and mitsubishi

I tried tho most body panels are actually discontinued as per what the dealer says.

if the dealer says there's nothing in the system will this site be able to get them for me?

96galantjohnmcc
    there dealer derect site from where they make the cars