The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Brake Fluid

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12

Brake Fluid

Doing my disk swap this weekend, what type of brake fluid should i use dot 4 or dot 5? Im using v6 SS lines, pads, and dual piston caliper up front if that makes a difference
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

i use dot 4, i think the only diffrence is boiling point

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

any certain brand i should go with or not use?
    13 GTR

i use synthetic prestone high temp dot 4. i use this for my clutch too.

"DSM's, making people mechanics since 1985"
    Quote Originally Posted by polishmafia
    You want real respect from those fools? Don't race him. Tell him racing is a sport left to young boys who are still waiting for their balls to drop. Then while he's out racing, fuck his girlfriend in the ass, take pics, and leave them on his car while hes at school.

Quote Originally Posted by IceDouTGaLanT View Post
    Doing my disk swap this weekend, what type of brake fluid should i use dot 4 or dot 5? Im using v6 SS lines, pads, and dual piston caliper up front if that makes a difference
    Dot 4 only. Dot 5 is quite different and is NEVER to be mixed with dot 3 or dot 4 at any time, ever.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DOT_5

So in other words, Dot 4 only.

Motul fluid!
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

well if youre going to be bleeding the entire system, then you could use dot 5 as long as you got the old stuff out. get some speed bleeders and it will go even faster.

dot 5 is silicone.
    you can't use it period. when it contacts regular brake fluid. it turns to gel.
    Which means if you run it in your car.... you will wreck.

you'd literally have to have NO ABS, and...
    completely dry new never used: calipers, flex lines, hard lines, proportioning valve, and master cylinder.

you can however use DOT 5.1
    which is fully compadable with DOT3 and 4

The highest off the shelf loiing point i've found is valvoline synthetic DOT5.1

If you have time to wait for it to come in the mail, or you have a tuner shop around that stocks it, I use Motul RBF600
    Its pretty badass, and inspite of all my driving and track days, I only need to flush it once a season.
    can't really say that for anything else.

If you do decide to go with the expensive Motul... I recommend completely flushing your lines with a couplle quarts of valvoline DOT5.1 synthetic first, to get all the old fluid, and contaminants out of yoru lines and system.

1994 Galant GS-Turbo

use dot 4
    and in my brake fluid reservoir were some particles so just clean it out if urs is dirty
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

okay ill just buy Dot 4/speed bleeders Thank you guys for your quick response.
    13 GTR

my bad. yea, i was thinking DOT 5.1 which is what I use. DOHC is right

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    if you want to buy Motul fluid, you can get it at any import motorcycle shop/dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS