The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Just Bought 95 ES rpms 1500 to 2000 in park????

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11

Just Bought 95 ES rpms 1500 to 2000 in park????

Just got this 95 ES and the rpms idle up and down in park and in neutral. Everything is smooth and fine while driving for the most part. It cant pass emissions with it doing this so I need to try to fix this week cause my tabs are up this month. There is a belt missing towards the right back side. I dont know if this could be the reason. If anyone has any input that would be great! Thanks in advance!

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Usually, if there's a belt missing.. There's a problem.. Please take it to a mechanic

TGC Regular
    The missing belt might be the A/C belt, if your standing in front of the engine the A/C belt is on the right and the A/C pump is back behind the block.

If its A/C belt, than it have no connection to high idle of your car. I will start with cleaning throttle body and ECU reset.
    www.mitsubishiklub.cz
    Dream, as if you live for ever, live as if you will die today, the choice is yours.

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Sounds like your a/c belt is missing...if you were missing any other belt your car wouldn't be running or wont have power steering.

You are saying your idle fluctuates up and down during idle and neutral...sounds like your IAC is going bad. If thats the case...I would find a used throttle body assembly from a salvage yard and swap out the throttle bodies.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Quote Originally Posted by 4-G-rim View Post
    Sounds like your a/c belt is missing...if you were missing any other belt your car wouldn't be running or wont have power steering.

You are saying your idle fluctuates up and down during idle and neutral...sounds like your IAC is going bad. If thats the case...I would find a used throttle body assembly from a salvage yard and swap out the throttle bodies.
    +1

Car is sold, no more G.... Moved on to something a big more sporty.... lol

thanks a lot from input from everyone... ill look into the IAC is this easy to get to? first ill try the ECU reset... where is this located and how would I reset it?

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragon-and-his-mitsubishi View Post
    If its A/C belt, than it have no connection to high idle of your car. I will start with cleaning throttle body and ECU reset.

Maybe the ecu is learning i know it takes mine several hundred miles to get adjusted properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow19 View Post
    Maybe the ecu is learning i know it takes mine several hundred miles to get adjusted properly.
    Before buying new throttle body, try to take it down and clean it... Because the ISC can be smugged because of the EGR... the valve that recuperates exhaust gas to make the emisions lower...

TO Shadow19: Thats right, you might let car to idle for 10minutes and then ride some miles around the city..
    Normally it learn the rpm to 80miles... But sometimes it takes longer...

Im reseting mine this way - key to acc, let the Check engine bulb switch off and then take out the minus on battery. Then key out of ingnition.. Take the negative terminal, put it on the plus on battery... The idle speed control valve - ISC - should make a noice - it parks to stop position.
    Then turn the key to acc and connect the minus to batery on first try...

Than the ride...
    www.mitsubishiklub.cz
    Dream, as if you live for ever, live as if you will die today, the choice is yours.

This seems to be the most common question as of late with new 7g owners. Check out this thread.

Thanks to PogiGreg above I found out I had exactly the same problem he had with the sprocket. Now Im just on the hunt for a used working one. Thanks!