The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: something else wrong with my "G"

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

something else wrong with my "G"

I will try my best to explain this noise....I only hear it when i come to a hard stop or after i get ready to take off if im stopped at a light or something..but i hear something knocking...It seems like something is loose and is rocking back and fourth( I dont hear it anymore after i start driving)..but if i make a soft stop or a soft take off i don't hear it.....also, when i am going about 60 my car makes this rough sounding noise you can feel it when your feet is on the gas how rough it feels..My brother told me that my "ball joints" needs to be greased...this noise has been going on for a while now this noise was before the knocking noise ..Im wondering if both of these could be tied in to the rough sounding noise and its gotten worse and knocked something out of place to cause the knocking sound?? Im paranoid now because i read somewhere this guys tire came off due to like ball joint wear and some other stuff..... Im so clueless !
    "Love My 8G"

i dont think this is it, but is your wheel on tightly? i once didnt tighten my wheels and took the car for a test drive and heard a thunking sound when accellerating and coming to a stop. also, is youre brake caliper on tightly? I also didnt tighten that down correctly and it made similar sounds.

Thanks, i will have someone to check and see if that's it ...
    "Love My 8G"

Quote Originally Posted by einahpetssm View Post
    I only hear it when i come to a hard stop or after i get ready to take off if im stopped at a light or something..but i hear something knocking...It seems like something is loose and is rocking back and fourth( I dont hear it anymore after i start driving)..but if i make a soft stop or a soft take off i don't hear it.....
    i have exact same thing i cant figure out what it is i tightened everything im going to double check everything again though. i would hear it when i slowed down for speed bumps and then when i accelerated after the bump it would go pop..... pop...

edit: do you have anything done to your brakes or suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by dknight3 View Post
    i have exact same thing i cant figure out what it is i tightened everything im going to double check everything again though. i would hear it when i slowed down for speed bumps and then when i accelerated after the bump it would go pop..... pop...

edit: do you have anything done to your brakes or suspension?

No, i have had my car for almost two years and have had nothing to to my brakes, suspension or anything...Do you think this could be the problem?
    "Love My 8G"

*done to me brakes
    "Love My 8G"

dang it i wish i would stop fat fingering these damn keys!!! but you get what i was trying to say..lol
    "Love My 8G"

check simple stuff like the battery tray..look under your seats make sure nothings rolling around,make sure if you have a intake its tight and secure.same with radiator,i kno i thought my engine was messed up it sounded like it was knocking comes to find out the shield by the starter cae lose just check everything and do the motor mount test
    PIMPIN AINT EASY

I had a similar problem until I replaced my front rotors and pads. I don't think it would be the struts because I had replaced my struts when I had the sound and it didn't go away.

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    Could be your rotors and brake pads that need to be changed, something like that happend to me and when I got them changed the clonking sound went away. Or could me low on oil, that also happend to me I heard a clicking sound and when I went to get the oil changed they told me my oil was low. That was the noise I was hearing and they fixed it with change of oil and sound went bye bye. ummm hopefuly its not the axles, loose bolt in tire, or anythign else loose under the hood. Could be anything, best bet is to go get it checked out.

damn your car is just falling apart. im going to say maby rotors or motor mounts

As long as your lug nuts are tight, I wouldn't worry about the tires comming off. The noise will get a LOT worse before anything that drastic happens. I had that noise one time though. Turned out to be a couple rocks that somehow got stuck in my front driver's side wheel. Took me for ever to figure it out.
    -Well that never happened in the simulations.
    -'94 Galant GS Turbo

Hmm, sounds like the same thing that happened to my first car. My first car was a 1996 dodge Intrepid (POS Car). Anyways, my car was making the same/ similar sounds that you described, turns out it was my transmission (automatic). After the transmission dicked out on me, and I had to get it rebuilt, the noise stopped. But check the cheaper stuff first. A repair for an AT is at least $2000 for most cars. So first check your oil, check the suspension, and anything else the previous members have mentioned.
    A ricer is someone who believes that lights, stickers, useless parts, stupid driving and any other abnormal or dangerous driving habits help them in their need for speed or attention.