The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: idle problems

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    elmersglue

idle problems

hi guys i have 96 galant s a/t , the idle is getting crazy and the keys doesnt come off easily,check engine lights too help me guys thanks
    Last edited by elmersglue; 05-10-2008 at 06:54 AM

Go to Autozone and get your codes pulled
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

Your problem is the same as mine. Your idle air control valve is malfunctioning. You can try cleaning it with throttle body cleaner. The way you get to the idle air control valve is to remove the throttle body. Once you remove it, the IAC is attached to it. Spray some WD40 on the screws because they will be tight. You may have to use vise grips to get the screws loose. Once it is apart, take the throttle body cleaner and spray all of the open ports. There is also an oval flat plate secured by two screws. Be careful when you open this plate. This is the mechanism that controls the IAC. You will see a big sprocket and a little sprocket. They are plastic, so I think. Check the smaller one. If there are teeth missing, then your IAC will not function properly and give you a CEL. This is when it is time to get a new IAC. Those babies are not cheap. They run $250 and up.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i sell em cheaper than 250 and thats brand new, if you serious drop me a PM and we will work on a price, but believe its way cheaper than the $250 and up.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

elmersglue
    Quote Originally Posted by PogiGreg View Post
    Your problem is the same as mine. Your idle air control valve is malfunctioning. You can try cleaning it with throttle body cleaner. The way you get to the idle air control valve is to remove the throttle body. Once you remove it, the IAC is attached to it. Spray some WD40 on the screws because they will be tight. You may have to use vise grips to get the screws loose. Once it is apart, take the throttle body cleaner and spray all of the open ports. There is also an oval flat plate secured by two screws. Be careful when you open this plate. This is the mechanism that controls the IAC. You will see a big sprocket and a little sprocket. They are plastic, so I think. Check the smaller one. If there are teeth missing, then your IAC will not function properly and give you a CEL. This is when it is time to get a new IAC. Those babies are not cheap. They run $250 and up.
    yeah your right sometimes they are normal and its revving itself

Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombr View Post
    i sell em cheaper than 250 and thats brand new, if you serious drop me a PM and we will work on a price, but believe its way cheaper than the $250 and up.
    If you can get them for cheaper, I am interested. PM sent.

elmersglue
    is that easy to install?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    yes.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

elmersglue
    can you show us how and where is that part idk nothing about engine problems thanks

Finally fixed my IAC valve. This part causes a lot of problems and will bring the CEL light. It cause your tac to idle eratically, causing it to die when you stop. Until I finally repaired mine, I had to put the car in Neutral to keep it going. I did some research on my IAC, and found out why it wasn't working. I opened up the side plate, and the sprockets had teeth missing.

I repaired mine by salvaging a sprocket from another broken IAC. I got enough pieces to get mine working. This unit is over $200 new.

I'm having the similar problem (as noted on my new thread) but reading here gives me a great suggestion so I'll try the mentioned solutions. Will post my outcome.

I opened up that plate and the smaller sprocket looked exactly like yours in the pic. Are you able to order just a new sprocket or do you have to buy a whole new idle air control valve? Would the IAC come with all new sprockets? Every time I call scrap yard lookin for a sprocket they dont know what the hell im talking about. Is there another name for this piece?

Found a used throttle body for $85 and replaced it. Now no more idle so I passed emissions. The Engine light remains on and it doesn't seem to shift right. Say I'm going 50 mph the rpms don't go down as I go faster it just keeps on rising...

Quote Originally Posted by twosaucy View Post
    Found a used throttle body for $85 and replaced it. Now no more idle so I passed emissions. The Engine light remains on and it doesn't seem to shift right. Say I'm going 50 mph the rpms don't go down as I go faster it just keeps on rising...
    Funny you should mention that. You're having the very same symptoms I had with my 94. I hate to tell you this, but your auto tranny is going out. The torque converter is failing. It is not engaging as you give it more throttle. The speed only rises. I had this same problem. My input shaft finally broke when I was going up hill on a street, and I wasn't getting any power. Your only option now is to continue driving it until it fails, and it will fail, trust me on that. Or go ahead and rebuild the transmission now. If you do rebuild it, make sure they replace your valve body as well. I guess now is the time to decide if you want to put more money into your 7G.