The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Cut the fins out of my grill...Qu's about painting

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Cut the fins out of my grill...Qu's about painting

I cut the fins out of my grill and plan on letting it sit in bleach to get rid of the chrome (i hope it works). Then I'm going to put some bondo on the rough areas.
    I want to paint the grill Patriot Red, the color of my car.
    I've never painted anything before so my questions are: How many layers of primer, color, and clear coat do I need?
    Also, do I sand after every coat of primer, color, and clear coat? For those layers that do need to be sanded, what grit(s) should I use?

Thanks

Just sand down the chrome and rough edges. The amount of work you put in will show.

I sanded until my arm fell off, then bondo'd, and sanded again til it was near perfect. (note this may take several attempts of bondo-ing to achieve a smooth surface)

then wetsanded, primed, wetsanded once more
    and finally painted.

Give it a few days to cure and then clear coat.

For me this was no one day job but it came out great.

ALSO, i recommend test fitting the mesh to the perfect shape right before you paint it. I tried fitting the mesh in after painting was done and ended up scratching and having to repaint.

My finished work.

5-speed 6G72 w/ bolt-ons [sold]
    '93 Nissan 240sx vert

Oh and please search next time, i dont know why but i felt like typing that all out.

You wont be so lucky everytime you post a thread like this that has been discussed quite a few times.

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorlax5506 View Post
    Give it a few days to cure and then clear coat.
    actually you're supposed to add the clear coat within like an hour or 2 of the last color coat.

and to the OP:
    depending on the surface you want, you may not even have to sand after coats.
    I opted for a matt black, somewhat bumpy surface to make it look as if it were OEM black, not painted. So I never wetsanded or anything and adjusted my spray style to get a bumpier surface rather than a mirror smooth surface.

for you though since you are going patriot red. For this I have no tips cause I have no painted anything on my car where I wanted a complete smooth surface

actually nvm: my wheelsl
    I still never even sanded between coats and the surface still looks great
    here's a pic:
    http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...4/IMG_0465.jpg
    don't wanna post it as an image cause its huge

Quote Originally Posted by beam514 View Post
    actually you're supposed to add the clear coat within like an hour or 2 of the last color coat.
    Not to argue but if you look on the back of a rust-oleum flat black paint can it says add a clear within one hour or after 48 hours to the topcoat.

Mine turned out how i wanted it so nonetheless experiment, if it doesnt turn out right, sand it down and try again

'93 Nissan 240sx vert

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by warriorlax5506 View Post
    Not to argue but if you look on the back of a rust-oleum flat black paint can it says add a clear within one hour or after 48 hours to the topcoat.
    ah actually you're right now I remember :) Forgot about that second part lol