The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Sulfer smell

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Airbus A320

Sulfer smell

I have 2001 Es I4. When I step on the gas really hard it starts to smell like sulfer. Some people said it was from using low quality gas. I swithced to 93 octane from BP and I can still smell it. Some other people told me its the Catylitic converter going bad, and thats wats causing this smell. Can someone please help me with this problem? What could it really be? P.s. I have noticed the the car hass lost a lot of power. I have 70K on it. Could it just need a tune up mabey?

Thanks in advance.

the smell is totally normal.
    it happens on ANY car when the catalytic converter is "over-fueled", as it is when running wide open throttle.

Dont waste money on 93 octane fuel, because you car was NOT designed for that. In fact, you will almost definatly loose drivability if you continue to do so. There are some cheaper gas types that do contain more sulfer, and make the smell worse, but as long as you buy name brand stuff you have nothing to fret about.
    its totally normal, so dont worry about it

Airbus A320
    Hey Many why does my car feel so sluggish now though? Is it time for a tune up? Will a tune up help cure the problem?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Airbus A320)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hey Many why does my car feel so sluggish now though? Is it time for a tune up? Will a tune up help cure the problem?</div>
    i have no idea.

A tune up may eliminate your "sluggishness", but I cant be sure, as I dont even know whats wrong (if in fact there is something wrong).

there could be a hundred different things causing sluggish throttle response.

Tiptronic
    could it be he needs a fuel injection cleaning :?:

Airbus A320
    Yeah I was thinking that same thing Ant. How much would that cost to have them cleaned?

Tiptronic
    i want to say that midas will do it for like 89.95. but dont quote me on that