The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Vibrations - time to replace my motor mounts?

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5

Vibrations - time to replace my motor mounts?

It's gotten gradually worse since I purchased the car last year. It's extremely rough in the cold, and it vibrates pretty bad until the engine has been warm for quite a while (long after the temp. gauge normalizes). It also goes through different amounts of vibration under acceleration, most notably an almost tinny sound on top of the vibration around 3200 rpm.

The vibration increases with downforce on the car, i.e. when the suspension compresses and rebounds.

I'm assuming it's the motor mounts (at least some of them)? I think it would explain the extra vibration when the suspension is compressed (extra weight on the mounts).

Does this sound right, or is something else up? If it is the mounts, where is the best place to get new ones? Are the urethane inserts worth the cost? I was reading this thread, and it seems that the urethane mounts aren't as smooth as the OEM ones. Is that true?

Thanks guys.
    Last edited by charris; 01-29-2009 at 08:27 AM
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

Most of the mounts you can visually inspect without removing anything. The mount that is on the drivers side is under the battery but the other three you can just look and see.

As for the urethane mounts, define smooth. They are smooth in the sense that the engine won't move as much as compared to worn or even the factory mounts. They aren't smooth in the sense that you will feel more of the vibration compared to the factory mounts.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I guess what I'm wondering is: which mount is easier on the engine? I'd rather the engine undergo less stress, the vibration in the cabin is secondary as long as I know it's not a sign that I'm killing the stuff under the hood.

Other question: do I need access to the underside of the car to replace them?

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:

So, here's what I'm thinking.

If I replace my front and rear mounts with the polyurethane, that will cure most (if not all ) wheel hop issues, and using something softer on the sides will reduce vibration without impacting performance?

Is that way off?

Ok, screw it. I'm getting all 4 mounts in urethane, vibration be #*#@#'ed.

Is there anywhere cheaper to get them? Deyeme is charging $569 for a set of 4.

*Edit: Okay, I've found a cheaper, more labor intensive option.

If I get these mounts http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=190278635633

and these inserts http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=310118574008

will they all fit together? (I know it's labor intensive, but I figure it's worth it to save $220.)
    Last edited by charris; 01-29-2009 at 10:38 AM