The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: need help making a choice

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    GFORCE99

need help making a choice

Whats up I just want you guys to help me out. I want to get some 18" rims I found these nice chrome 18X7 with a offset of 40mm and they weigh about 24lb, then I found these hyperblack silver light weight racing rims 18X7.5 with a offset of 42mm and they weigh only 18lb.With the racing rims weighing less I would see a gain in performance right (take off)? (right now just have 15's / 99 ES), would I be lossing anything if I get the chrome ones?

Thanks..

the galant is a PIG. the most performance you will see is in handling by upgrading the wheels and tires to a wider contact patch and lower profile sidewall (tire). your takeoff will not b noticably affected by lowering the wheel's (unsprung) weight unless the wheels weight were GREATLY reduced as opposed to stock. so... if you have an 8G go w/ what you think looks the best and get 225/40zr18 to keep your speedo within 1% of OE readings. both wheels mentioned should fit the 8G no problem w/ that tire size.

96TEXASgalant
    every little bit helps, in regards to weight.

GFORCE99
    Thanks for the reply's, by going to a bigger size will it mess with the speed gauge,I heard this might happen but I thought it was only for extreem larger wheels like 20's.

going bigger will only mess w/ the speedo if you change the overall rolling circumference. what i mean is the taller the wheel, the shorter the sidewall of the tire has to be to keep the original height of the tire and wheel sum. trust me... 225/40zr18 is as close as you can get to the stock height but is 25mm wider than stock. the width has no affect your speedo or tranny readings.