The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: automatic transmission fluid filter??? HELP!!

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

automatic transmission fluid filter??? HELP!!

ok... so i was going to replace my transmission oil and filter and i discovered this.....

shouldn't there be an external trany filter here? (Arrow) [IMG]http:/
    [/IMG]

i have been driving the car for 6 moths without any problems..

Experienced TGC Member
    Depends on what year Mitsu you have. I think the 99-01 have the external filter while the 02-03 have an internal transmission filter.

the 02-03 dont have that external filter. even if you remove the transmission pan you still wont find a filter like on other common cars that when you remove the tranny pan the filter is sitting right there. you remove our pans and all you see is a big electrical box with wires. nothing i would remove to see if there is a filter somewhere in there. im speaking for the 02-03 models btw. not sure on 99-01 other than they have the external filter.
    Fully Built 4G63
    HKS 272
    ported Dual Ball Bearing FP RED 84mm 25psi w/ external dump

traffik
    Quote Originally Posted by Betog34 View Post
    ok... so i was going to replace my transmission oil and filter and i discovered this.....

shouldn't there be an external trany filter here? (Arrow) [IMG]http:/
    [/IMG]

i have been driving the car for 6 moths without any problems..
    The filter is on the inside of the tranny, but I dont think you want to change it. You will have to take the tranny off the car and take the bell housing off in order to change the filter. That goes for all of the 8g transmissions. yes the 99-01 galants have a filter on the top off them but they also have the one inside. The next time I have a chance I will take pictures and post them. I personally think it was a very dumb design.

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    if you want to change the filter i think you will have to crack the case open, mine was just replaced twice in a row, first because i needed it rebuilt because i bought while it didnt move, and the second time when my axel broke and a piece of something got caugh in the gears, 2100$ in my tranny.

thanks for your help, now i feel better.

2001 dont have that either. i think its 99 only
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush