The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Emissions failure

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10

Emissions failure

OBDII codes PO171 - running lean bank 1, and PO134 - O2 sensor no activity bank 1 sensor 1. Waiting on Advance to unload their shipment truck to pull my O2 sensor. Havent yet tested the sensor or checked the connection, but I want to have the part ready while Ive got the car jacked up. I could see how the two codes could be easily associated, but I'm hoping the O2 sensor is the only problem. Should I try cleaning the MAFS also? Any tips on that if I need to? Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by anticon; 01-13-2009 at 01:07 PM

https://www.thegalantcenter.org/show...ight=o2+sensor
    Okay, disregard the MAFS cleaning tips question
    I'd also like to assure myself I'm checking/changing the correct sensor. Bank 1, sensor 1, if I am not mistaken, should be located just before the cat on the firewall side. Correct? I imagine it shouldn't be hard to find, although I haven't yet crawled under the car to look for it.
    Last edited by anticon; 01-13-2009 at 01:06 PM

Well for future reference for those who don't know, the upstream O2 sensor for bank 1 (sensor 1, bank 1) is easily accessible from the top on the rear side of the motor (contrary to the Haynes manual's "instructions"). And the two codes were related - changed the sensor and no more SES light and passed emissions with flying colors. hooray.

didnt see this sooner. yes, those 2 codes usually means a bad o2 sensor. glad u got it fixed

Experienced TGC Member
    Anyone have the brand of o2 Sensors used? I keep searching for NGK, but keep showing results for "NTK NGK"? A part number would help too. Thanks.

Denso.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

Quote Originally Posted by 4g63lover View Post
    Denso.
    Bingo.

FYI - Some cars (I've never experienced this with Mitsus), if you use a non-OEM O2 sensor, they can send parameters to the computer that, while still ok, are outside of the computer's set limits, which can throw a code.

This is the reason why I go OEM nearly 99% of the time. Especially with 02 sensors, wires and plugs.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Experienced TGC Member
    Thanks guys ill be ordering some sensors tonite.

I just replaced my O2 sensor with a Bosch o2 sensor on bank 1 sensor 1. Everything was plug and play and my check engine light went away. Everything has been fine for a month so far.

You do need to get an o2 sensor socket to properly install the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by brad995 View Post
    I just replaced my O2 sensor with a Bosch o2 sensor on bank 1 sensor 1. Everything was plug and play and my check engine light went away. Everything has been fine for a month so far.

You do need to get an o2 sensor socket to properly install the sensor.
    Bosch and Denso, the last I heard, worked hand in hand with each other in manufacturing. Basically Bosch is really close, if not the same, as OEM.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.