The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Alternator Respool ?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Alternator Respool ?

Could anybody tell me how to respool my stock alternator?
    I'm not talking about taking it to a shop I wanna DIY.

atm when bass hits my touchscreen flickers, and any lights that are on will dim.

Amp is a CY-PA2003W panasonic.

I've read that a capacitor will not solve the problem because theres not enough amperage in the first place. I really dont wanna end up with an busted alternator from overpulling it.

Thanks in advance.

Rewinding an alternator is not really a DIY job, especially if you are a decent electrician. You are better off leaving it to a professional or someone who has done it before. A company called Ohio Generator I know rebuilds and upgrades alternators to as much as 250amps.

But honestly a capacitor would work fine. See if you want to get the full benefit of your audio system you need a deep cycle battery, an High output alternator, and a capacitor. The purpose of a capacitor is to provide needed power when requested from your audio system. Your alternator and battery (on real powerful audio systems) cannot simply sustain the load requirements unless you have multiple batteries and a fairly powerful alternator. And even then you will nearly ALWAYS see competition audio systems employing capacitors.

Whoever is saying they don't work doesn't know the purpose and has bought into the hype that they do nothing to benefit the money or cost outlay. Trust me, they work especially when utilized properly.

Ok. It seems some people swear by caps and some people swear at them.

This Is what made me think they wouldnt work good enough off yahoo forums

This is the most common misconception in car audio... a cap will not 'fix' voltage issues if you are not producing enough voltage in the first place. If your lights are still dimming, you need a bigger alternator.

You wouldn't open a savings account because you spend more than what you make would you?

Your alternator is like your job, the more you make, the better off you are. You have to make more than you spend.

Your battery is like your checking account. The common place for all the money you make and the distribution point in which all money is paid out.

Your capacitor is like a savings account. Money set aside for when you need it immediately. But remember you have to replace it, and if you aren't making enough in the first place it is useless.

Your amplifier is like your wife/girlfriend. The biggest spender, but since you enjoy what she does, you have to accomodate for the amount she spends.
    Source(s):
    6+ years professional car audio installer
    But yeah thanks redGalant. I think I will try a cap if you say it should solve my problem.
    The dimming doesnt bother me at all I just don't want any of my electronics to fry.

I've never heard of a place who rebuilds alternators here but I'll ask some electricians.
    I wouidnt mind learning how to do it. :)

If you really want to know how do get into alternator rewinding and can't get a hold of anyone local try this place: www.the12volt.com <-------By FAR the best audio site I've ever found. Has more information and even has a discussion forum too that is VERY helpful, the perfect place for your ambitious project.

i don't know what he charges to ship internationally, but nathan peddicord at www.excessiveaperage.com told me he could custom build a 200 amp alternator that would bolt into the factory location with the overdrive pulley installed for $365 shipped to anywhere in the lower 48. btw its for a 2.4l, for a 6cyl it might be more.

thanks bro. but I'm in NZ and I only have a 4 cyl 1.8 litre :P