The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: no power when ignition is in off position

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

no power when ignition is in off position

I just bought a 2001 Galant and I noticed that when I have my ignition in the OFF position nothing gets power

no power locks, no hazard lights, ect...

but there isn't anything wrong with my power door locks or hazard lights because when I turn the key to the ON position they both work fine, it seems to be missing some kind of constant power supply that your car obviously needs to function properly

my stock Mitsubishi CD player is locked out to as a result of the problem too but I don't even want to begin trying to figure the code out until I get this other issue resolved cause it's gonna happen overnight every day as a result of this bigger problem, and since the car didn't come with an owner's manual I don't have the card with my stereo's code on it anyway

I'm not really sure what this symptom is even called so while I have a service manual for the car I havn't actually been able to track down anything in there that talks about what my car is doing

a few people that I've talked to have thrown around the possibility of an ignition switch problem but from what I have read so far it doesn't sound like any of the typical symptoms that come with that describe what my car is doing but I'm really not sure, other than that the car runs perfectly and I love it

Does anyone have any idea what could possibly cause this?
    Last edited by 01_Galant_ES; 02-21-2009 at 03:20 PM

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    im going to say its probroblly the fuse...go in the engine bay fuse box and check the 2 10 amp fuses in the yellow shroud...that should be the culprit

thank you so much! you were EXACTLY right, I looked under the hood and the 10 amp fuse on the left in that yellow thing was blown so I replaced it with another 10 amp fuse and it solved the problem, everything worked for a couple seconds and then the fuse blew again so this time I replaced it with a 15 amp fuse and its been fine ever since, I've asked quite a few people about this and even asked if there was a certain fuse I should check and they all said that there was no way it could be a fuse, thanks again this is great!
    Last edited by 01_Galant_ES; 02-21-2009 at 11:56 PM

i wouldn't bandaid the problem just by putting a bigger fuse. you could have a short circuit somewhere, causing the fuse to always blow.

I suppose you do have a point, but how would you go about finding a short? I wouldn't even know where to begin...

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    yea qnz is right. well first i would check if you have anything aftermarket beit, radio lights entry/alarm etc. make sure all connections are good

if its stock then it shouldnt have blown the other 10a fuse that quickly or at all for that matter. the second time

electrical problems can be a bt of a pain. in would invest n a multimeter (rather cheap nowadays) like 10-15$ at an auto parts store for a cheaper one. unfortunately that power line branches off and obviously powers many sources so it can be a pain. and even worse most mechanics hate electical problems and will probroblly charge you a good amount to diagnose and fix the problem.

you basically have to test each area of the connection and see where is getting no power at al or a shortage.

i recently had a similar problem and it was a small short but enough so that it would trip the fuse on and off. it ended up being on the main wire before it branches into the connector and splits to power the different accessories. surprisingly for a wire that powers soo much it is rather small like 16-18 gauge if i remember right. i had a tiny pinhole in the main power wire for the car which corroded and heated the insulation on the main power wire for all those accessories causing another small pinhole on that wire. the other wire which was bigger was grounding out the power wire for the accessories and luckily i found it before it could have gotten worse. the main wire can be found funning from the fusebox under the hood through the fender and into the cabin under the dash...i suggest to start there

I'll have to look into that, thanks