The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 5spd Transmissions

Showing results 1 to 13 of 13

5spd Transmissions

Hey guys. Thanks for taking the time to read this if you do. I have a 2001 Galant ES 2.4L I4 and I was wondering what options i have for switching out to a manual tranny. I heard something about an 01 Kia Rio tranny. Will they really work? Basically I cannot find a 3g eclipse tranny anywhere and the few that i do find are like 1200. Is there any other tranny's that will work?

Thanks a lot!

PS: I have been searching the forum for about a week. I see everything on how to swap with an eclipse transmission so I guess my main question which I cant find any info on is the one regarding the Kia Rio transmission.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    A dodge stratus tranny will work as well.

For a used trans, did you check car-part.com? I also posted a link to one in the ebay finds thread recently.

Quote Originally Posted by gtx View Post
    For a used trans, did you check car-part.com? I also posted a link to one in the ebay finds thread recently.
    Ya I did and the only one anywhere near me is in VA (I'm in northern MD). It was about 1200 dollars. I know I could find one cheaper.

Experienced TGC Member Galantfan88's Avatar
    If you are a member you might find one on Club3g, I got tranny with 30xxx miles on it, ACT clutch, shifter and all cables, pedals...pretty much the whole mish mosh to do the swap for about $1160.00 all i need is flywheel cuz the dude has a stock flywheel and I didnt want that. Just gatta look around ask questions and see, if your looking on ebay forget it man you wont find shit. One guy was selling a 3g tranny, just the tranny nothing else for 1000 +shipping, and I believed the tranny had like 80xxx miles on it. Goodluck man

Also try car-parts.com, or call them ask for what you need they may help you, most people here did that.
    Last edited by Galantfan88; 02-20-2009 at 03:18 PM

jeff isn't the bellhousing different on the stratus tranny ??

Jesus you meant car-parts.com

As far as the tranny swap goes you will be lucky to stay under $1500 and there is no way around it unless you are lucky like Denver and find a tranny for $200 otherwise you aren't spending less than that
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64T (Samantha)
    '01 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (Daily)
    '02 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '00 Mitsubishi Galant ES 4g64 (SCRAPPED)
    '91 Volvo 740 Turbo B230FT (SOLD)
    '88 Mitsubishi Mighty Max (SOLD)
    '91 Kawasaki ZX7 (SOLD)
    '95 Kawasaki ZX9R

Time to start saving!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spdracr View Post
    jeff isn't the bellhousing different on the stratus tranny ??

Jesus you meant car-parts.com

As far as the tranny swap goes you will be lucky to stay under $1500 and there is no way around it unless you are lucky like Denver and find a tranny for $200 otherwise you aren't spending less than that
    nobody gets deals like me :D

im wondering is it really worth it to do a tranny switch?? i mean i would rather have a manuel, but dose it really make that much of a difference
    BNB Motorsports

^ yup its like night n day on the galant. I spent $830 for m tranny and parts, remember yard will ship it to your house and they bargain mine was listed for almost 950$. Also the manual transmission is lighter then the Auto transmission.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

wheres the best place to find an tranny that would fit with the least amount of work, i mean i kno it will be alot work but you kno wat i mean
    BNB Motorsports

from a 3g eclipse 00-03 Rs/GS
    www.car-parts.com <- look in your area for transmissions, call the yard tell them u want everything, pedals, linkage, shifter assembly, master, EVERYTHING

Check out the tutorial section a member named GOOSEY has a EXCELLENT write-up on parts & pics with install.
    00 Galant ES Turbo/5-Speed
    13 GTR

ill look in to it, thanks for the help, been on this site for a day, and ive learned soo much in that time
    BNB Motorsports