The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: camber correction kit

Showing results 1 to 10 of 10
    irishpunk

camber correction kit

Does anyone know how much if at all the camber can be corrected without using a camber correction kit? I am contemplating on the Progress springs on my 2000 ES I-4 and am curious if I need the camber kit or not.

According to the Mitsubishi dealer shop manuals, the front camber can be adjusted up to 1 1/2 degrees, but the rear camber is preset at the factory and can not be adjusted without a kit. Also, according to the manuals, the rear camber is considered within spec if it is between -1 degree and 1/2 degree.

A general rule of thumb is that for every inch you drop, your camber will be off by -1 degree. Of course it doesn't always work that way and every car, even the same model, will react differently. My car is dropped with Progress springs and is approximately 1.8" lower in the rear. My rear camber was off by -2 degrees. I had a camber kit to be installed when I got my alignment. When I got my 18" rims, they rubbed the rear fenders slightly going over big dips at higher speeds. I just recently removed one washer from every bolt of the camber kit so the rear wheels actually camber in about -1 degree and so far I have no rubbing. Realize that -1 degree of camber is within spec. That's just something to think about before you bother with a camber kit. With the front, I didn't need a kit and the alignment shop was able to adjust that to within spec. To adjust the front camber, alignment shops switch two bolts on each side to larger or smaller diameter ones, depending on how much camber correction is needed.

I hope that helps.

irishpunk
    Thanks man, very informative

the main thing you should do though after your drop is get the wheels aligned. 4 wheel alignment if you're dropping the car all four corners. many people think its just camber that chews up your tires but other things such as toe in and out can chew up your tires too. and yea an alignment can fix that and tell you how off your camber is so u can determine if a camber kit is necessary and how severe your camber is off.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

john mars

camber kit

i recently bought those bolts and washers from home dpot. i followed the instructions on sizes and threds from the ones the club 3g put out, similar to the RRE kit. Anyway, I have the I4,meaning I have drums at the rear. I want to ins tall the kit cuz my inner wall of my tires r wearing out. I have the progress springs, 17" rims. Question is WHERE DO I ADJUST AND INSTALL THIS KIT. The only 4 bolts i see similar in size r the ons bhind the drums..pls help...thanxs

Re: camber kit

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john mars)</div><div class='quotemain'>i recently bought those bolts and washers from home dpot. i followed the instructions on sizes and threds from the ones the club 3g put out, similar to the RRE kit. Â*Anyway, I have the I4,meaning I have drums at the rear. I want to ins tall the kit cuz my inner wall of my tires r wearing out. I have the progress springs, 17" rims. Question is WHERE DO I ADJUST AND INSTALL THIS KIT. The only 4 bolts i see similar in size r the ons bhind the drums..pls help...thanxs</div>

In the rear you don't adjust camber anywhere near the drums or rotors. The rear camber is adjusted where the upper control arm assembly connects to the interior wheel well. You'll see it looks like a horse shoe shape and has two brackets at each end. Each bracket has two bolts. You replace the bolts with the new ones and place the washers in between the wheel well and the brackets. That will cause the top of the wheel to adjust outward. I'm not sure how many washers you will need or how you will measure your camber though.

john mars

camber kit

David, thanxs for the info. I'll start with 4 washers per bolt and see if i rub or improve on the inner wearing out.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john mars)</div><div class='quotemain'>David, thanxs for the info. I'll start with 4 washers per bolt and see if i rub or improve on the inner wearing out.</div>

How thick are your washers? The Ingalls camber kit I have had some fairly thick washers and two of them on each bolt corrected a -2 degree camber back to 0. So, it's basically 1 washer for each degree and your camber will be off approximately 1 degree for every inch you are dropped.

Senior TGC Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Danger DANJ)</div><div class='quotemain'><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(john mars)</div><div class='quotemain'>David, thanxs for the info. I'll start with 4 washers per bolt and see if i rub or improve on the inner wearing out.</div>

How thick are your washers? The Ingalls camber kit I have had some fairly thick washers and two of them on each bolt corrected a -2 degree camber back to 0. So, it's basically 1 washer for each degree and your camber will be off approximately 1 degree for every inch you are dropped.</div>
    Whoa...I didn't notice till David pointed that out...4 washers per bolt? I hope they're not too thick...how thick are the washers on the Ingalls kit?
    "Daisy tumbled short of his dreams, not through her own fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion... No amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart. " - F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby

"I have not failed 700 times. I have not failed once. I have succeeded in proving that those 700 ways will not work. When I have eliminated the ways that will not work, I will find the way that will work." - Thomas Edison

john mars

camber

just got my agx's installed yesterday,#2 setting(2nd softest) #3 rear setting. anyway, i tried correcting the camber but the bolts i bought did not thread smoothly, like the oem. rather than force it ,i left it alone. the car is 3/4 " highr in the rears but the wheel has a more even stand. bottom lin, i think i just needed new shocks. i'll find out in a couple of months if i still have severe inner wall wearing out from my rears.