The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Bleeding brake lines

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7
    Experienced TGC Member

Bleeding brake lines

Lately my brakes kinda feel like they arent stopping as fast as they usually do..peddle a lil spongy also I think...checked the pads they have a good 1/4" left to go and look like their in good condition on the surface. Rotors look find as well.

So I decided I'll bleed the lines, now I've only seen this done by a friend of mine, pulled out the vaccum pump and went to work...

Maybe I was doin soemthin wrong but the bubbles never stopped comming out of the line. There was no leak in the vaccum connection to the bleeder valve, so I am assuming all these bubles were comming out of the break system but I dont think its possible lol.

any ideas what im doing wrong ? Or is there maybe a leak in the system somewhere? I never ever lose any brake fluid I know that much..
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

cantbeatmy97
    the way i do that is grab a friend have him press the pedal a couple of times till it gets hard then hold it. thats when u loosen the bleeder valve w/ a 5/16 wrench i believe and let it piss till it comes out as a stright flow.then tighten it back up and have him press the pedal again and hold it and loosen the valve up again. u should be able to do it bout 2-3 times per valve.hopefully this answers yur ?

if youre attaching a vacuum pump to the bleeder screw, you WILL get constant air bubbles, as it pulls air in through the threads of the screw.

this is normal, and they usually tell you that in the directions of the vacuum bleeder.

Experienced TGC Member
    I've had the pump for a while...and didnt read the directoins lol.

Thanks =D
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

DSMNUT
    What vacuum pump do you have JiP? I've got one of those little hand held mityvacs and had the same problem a while back. I went through a whole container of brake fluid before I read the stinkin' manual and realized it was normal.

Experienced TGC Member
    I duno just one of those autozone hand pump ones with like 20 atatchments and the vaccum gauge on top. Can use it for a lot of crap. I had it for a while I read the manual at one time...but when I did the brakes..hey I know how to do it its easy....uh except that 1 line in the manual that wasnt imprinted in my brain ...you will get little bubles because the pump will suck air in through the threads, thread tape will stop this...

=] O well, my brakes do feel better so I guess I did it right
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

DSMNUT
    Yeah that's the same pump I've got. It did just fine and my brakes turned out great....I was just a retard at the time and couldn't figure out why I had the bubbles. If I ever do it again I'll have to try the thread tape.