The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Uh-Oh

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Uh-Oh

I noticed today that at an idle like a redlight the oil pressure light would flicker. I decided to stop and check the oil and it was low. I bought a quart to tide me over until this week when I get an oil change. I took off the cap and noticed that it was really dark, Im due for a change anyway, and it was a little smokey. I am thinking the smoke was from being run for about 2 hours on a 70 degree day here in jersey. It wasn't like dark smoke, but more of a hot steam-like smoke when I took off the cap. Cause for concern or just a little low on oil?

Quote Originally Posted by 732Galant View Post
    I noticed today that at an idle like a redlight the oil pressure light would flicker. I decided to stop and check the oil and it was low. I bought a quart to tide me over until this week when I get an oil change. I took off the cap and noticed that it was really dark, Im due for a change anyway, and it was a little smokey. I am thinking the smoke was from being run for about 2 hours on a 70 degree day here in jersey. It wasn't like dark smoke, but more of a hot steam-like smoke when I took off the cap. Cause for concern or just a little low on oil?
    Just add the oil for now. It's gonna steam a SMALL bit,,,,it's really hot in the crankcase. Just keep an eye on it,,if it doesn't stop after the oil change (light still flickering) change the oil pressure sensor.....it's cheap.

^^ and driving it for 2 hours in 70 degree weather wont make it smoke steam is to be expected when you open oil reservoir as engines run at high temperatures but if it was smoking then that is an issue park your car somewhere for 3 hours then move it and see if there is an oil spot, this is best done on a clean drive way or street. If not I would say you may be burning oil thus "I took off the cap and noticed that it was really dark, Im due for a change anyway, and it was a little smokey" that may be explained. For your oil change I would recommend a higher thickness especially if you have high mileage. IF you are using 5w30 use 10w30 if you're using 10w30 and still an issue 10w40 is fine especially if you have over 120k-ish If you're running synthetic I would say switch to conventional for now and change every 2k-ish and look at texture of oil. My oil comes out almost as clean as it goes in every 5k miles synthetic is technically good for 10k, but I dont trust that.

To end my long drone start your car and see if you can smell burning oil from your exhaust and see a bit of smoke especially on a warmer day.

I just added a quart about 30 mins after I posted and it has stopped flickering. The dipstick showed it was a bit low. I know it gets really hot in the crankcase so i figured it was just steam. I am getting an oil change tomorrow or Monday. I have 170k and currently use 5w-30, do you think I should use 10w-30?

definitely especially as the summer months approach. Hotter temp thicker oil. And also as you change it look at the difference in color if its really dirty I wouild suggest changing more often to clean the system out a bit if its needed say you change every 3k change every 2-2.5 til the used oil comes out a yellowish color then your engine will be cleaner and you can go back to 2.5 or 3k mi.s

You are here entirely tooo much!! Jeffylou87's Avatar
    Go with 10W-30 for the hot season..

Switching from 5w-30 to 10w-30 won't make a difference as far as how the car performs? I dont want to mess anything up.
    Last edited by 732Galant; 03-12-2009 at 10:41 PM