The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 7th Gen Engine Mounts

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    brandenblazeRR

7th Gen Engine Mounts

i was wondering is there anything aftermarket for us in enging mounts or can we use eclipse engines?

Experienced TGC Member
    Yes fill it with polyurethane construction adhesive! I'll post pics later.

From what ive read and what everyone tells me, only the front and rear mount on the engine are the ones that count, and if you have an autotranny you wont be able to use the front mount inserts from any kit so.... I have rear mounts from Kain which fit his but for whatever reason didnt fit mine. I ended up just filling the mounts in with the adhesive.
    Rob
    --------------------------------------------
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

brandenblazeRR
    okay , ill be waiting on the picz. BUt the adhesive really does work?, because my belts are squeeking and i had changed them, and they said it could be the engine mounts, and i need a front one really bad?

Experienced TGC Member
    Yes indeedy, thats the site that gave me the idea. However I couldnt find window adhesive urethane, so I went with whatever I found polyurethane construction adhesive. Only thing is make sure you do thin layers, let dry, another thin layer..etc..until its filled. Otherwise it will never dry it will literally take a month for the entire thing to dry if u just full in the whole mount.

Btw, you can just remove your mount and check to see if its cracked...mine areall cracked,filling them in stoped my jerky tranny. When I floored it sometimes id hear a big clunk...now it just moves no clunk...
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

I ordered the exact stuff online, just do a search for 3m products. Cost me 15 shipped. I was lazy and filled the whole thing because I wouldn't have time to put them on in the next few weeks anyways. Took a good week to fully harden.

Experienced TGC Member
    Let me ask you this GALANT RACER...does your car vibrate a lot at idle in drive???
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

yeah its a little rough but you get used to it, just throw it into neutral if it bugs you

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VA_GALANT_RACER
    yeah its a little rough but you get used to it, just throw it into neutral if it bugs you
    See thats the thing... I dont vibrate. Only in reverse. Now my rear mount I didnt fill with caulk shit, I cut half moon pieces of those compressed plastic cutting boards and put them in, and put a screw through them so they stay in. In reverse the car vibrates.

The front mount I completely filled with the polyuerthane stuff, and its like a rock if you squeeze the mounts...but in drive no vibration...When I rev the engine from the throttle plate there is very very little deflection from what used to be a big lurch forward of the block. Im upset cause I wanted the vibratoin lol.
    Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

redlobster
    any pictures of this done on a 7th gen galant?

Experienced TGC Member
    I got a mixture of things going on...On all 3 mounts, except the front mount, I took those compressed white plastic cutting boards and cut peices to wedge into the open spaces of the mount, trimmed them flush with the surface, and then filled them with the adhesive stuff. On the rear mount I cut half moons out of the cutting board and wedged them in at the top and put screws through from one side of the plastic to the other so they stay in place...and then filled it in.. Heres the rear mount before filling with the plastic...and the front mount after filling..

Rob
    rIp 97 Galant
    starting over.
    90 Talon

redlobster
    kool