The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: HID Problem

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

HID Problem

Hi,

I have a problem with one of my HIDs. When I get up in the morning and try to turn my light on one of them will not turn on. I have to turn the light switch off and then back on again and then it turn on without any problems. Do you know that is the cause of it. I just bought them last week It only happens when car have not been run for more then 5 hours. It never turns on in the morning when car is really cold.

Your battery might not be putting out enough power to ignite the ballast.

Have you tried switching the bulbs from side to side? If you do and the same thing happens on the same side, then you know it is not the bulb. Then switch the ballasts. If the problem happens on the other side, it probably is the ballast. If its not the ballast, then it is probably your battery.

Which side usually does not turn on? Driver side or passenger? I'm going to guess passenger - just a guess. ;)

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Yes passenger side. OK I will try that and I will let you know but it is hard to troubleshoot that because I have to wait till morning to try it out.

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    i had to upgrade the fuse in mine for the pass side hid. it is under the hood. make sure all your connections are good though before you do that.

I changed the bulbs and the same problem appeared. Passenger side was out. So bulbs are good, I am going to change ballast tonight and see what will happen tomorrow morning

Go get your battery checked at Napa or Checker.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

It can’t be battery because I bought new one 3 months ago

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    have you checked the fuse? That was my problem at first and when the fuse blew it somehow damaged the ballast.

What fuse because my HIDs did not came with any fuse ?

the fuse for your headlights, its in your engine bay. Black cover by the battery.

double check all your fuses in there, i cant remember off the top of my head what number the headlight fuse is, im in class so i cant go look :)
    Last edited by showtime; 03-26-2009 at 02:26 PM

OK. I will check that but how can I tell if the fuse is bad? Which one of these I should check ? 16,17,18 or 19?

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6634/img0137t.jpg
    Last edited by lisek99; 03-26-2009 at 02:31 PM

Get your car's manual it should be there.
    "Mitsubishi Galant(e) for Life"

Tuned 2013 Evolution X GSR PB

-> Follow me on IG @blackblurr_x | 5-Speed | Check out my Build Here

get a relay harness that draws power directly from the battery. what is happenning is that when you ignite HID, they need a very high voltage and amperage to start up. one of your ballasts is getting enough power but is in turn starving your other side. if you use the stock wiring to simply trigger the relay harness (tiny amperage draw through the stock wiring), it will draw power directly from the battery through heavier guage wiring (and it's own fuses). this should fix the starvation problem between sides as they will both now be hooked directly into the battery (and electrical charging system).

here is what i'm talking about (although this is H7 for 8G JDM low beam)

i have 3 of these harness in my car. H7 HID low, H1 HID hi (triggers bridges w/ a diode JDM headlights), H3 HID fog. none of my HID draws power through OEM wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by lisek99 View Post
    OK. I will check that but how can I tell if the fuse is bad? Which one of these I should check ? 16,17,18 or 19?

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/6634/img0137t.jpg
    Fuse will be blown, the little metal peice that goes through the fuse will be cracked though the center. So just take them out and look.

I just check them all fuses and they look fine. All the fuses look the same, no color change, no damage inside the fuse, etc.

good, then its probably your stock harness cant supply enough power. I would do what reelax said and get a relay harness, DDM sells them and so does a ton of people on ebay.

What is DDM so I can compare prices with ebay? I think I will buy one, what is the cheapest place I can get it?

EDIT
    I test out ballasts and it was a problem. When I switched ballasts last night and try to turn them on this morning it did not go off.
    Last edited by lisek99; 03-26-2009 at 11:15 PM

i would try to return you HID if it has a warranty. If not try to find a replacement ballast. Hope you didnt order from supervtec on ebay, i have been trying to get my kit returned for over a month and he wont respond to any of my emails.