The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Engine Wash

Showing results 1 to 9 of 9
    Calvin0006

Engine Wash

okay,....i was wondering. see my engine is dirty. it has 152,000 miles worth of dirt and grease and crap on it. would it be okay just to take a hose to it and wash it? as long as i did it on a hot sunny day and left the hood up so it would dry?.................or is that an extremely bad idea?

Make sure the engine is dead cool. I tried it while it was still kinda warm and stained my head cover (or whatever you call it). Make sure no water gets into the airwar and use Simple Green Spray foam. Works well.

L

I somewhat disagree

when an engine is warm, the grease And crap breaks free easier.
    I'm not saying go overheat your motor, and spray it With cold water lol broken block

but warm.. and use a degreaser.. like "purple power" that Advance Auto sells

let it sit... for a bit, and have at it with your hose.....

lather, rinse repeat.

just be sure to cover your intake if you have an Aftermarket one.. and be sure your spark-plug wires Are covering the well completely

this is how I do/did mine

here's a picture of my 90k-mile motor just before we yanked it.

Craig R.
    [email protected], Gclipse96 on AIM

1996Galant 14.0@103
    biggest b00bies EvAr

IllestGalant
    it's fine to spray the motor, just don't spray directly at the alternator and make sure the car is running. don't spray near the air filter either. wouldn't won't to throw any water in with that air/fuel mixture

kool been wanting to do that but wait, so do i clean it with the ignition on...illest???
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

IllestGalant
    clean it with the engine running while it is still cool. Gunk makes some really really good engine cleaner that you can pick up at the auto parts store nearest you. It is called engine degreaser. just spray it all over the stuff you want cleaned, let it sit for a few minutes, then start your car up and power wash the engine compartment. If your car is hot, you risk warping or cracking the heated metals by spraying cold water on them. Just don't spray near the air intake or the alternator and you'll be fine.

I washed my engine once and then the car wouldnt start. so I had to get it fixed, I dont know what the prob was

Experienced TGC Member
    Why wash with the engine running?

It is a grand idea to cover your battery terminals BTW.. . do it.
    [b]<span style='color:blue'>Wes</span>
    The true path to enlightenment is Here
    <-Check it out Maz
    My 7g

[b]<span style='color:darkred'>ClubTGC Shidoshi-Kai Fellowship</span>

IllestGalant
    there will be less of a chance of water getting in places it shouldn't be. For example, if you are spraying neer the timing cover and belts and pulleys, water will just get flung away if they are spinning as apposed to the water seeping in to some nooks and cranies.