The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: brake caliper paint....???

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    Censee

brake caliper paint....???

hey guys,well i used heat resistant engine paint to paint my calipers blue,but after a while they start turning like black and hard to clean.....is the actual paint that ays "brake caliper paint" different than the engine heat resistant paint ???and does this happe to ayone else???i wana buy those caliper stickers but dont want my caliper looking nasty....u guys sanded the caliper before painting?????

IllestGalant
    yeah, sand them before you paint them. I painted my friends calipers yellow on his 2002 yellow mercury cougar zn.
    I sanded them and cleaned with brake cleaner and sprayed three coats of yellow enamel high temp spray. the paint still looks new! 5 bucks at pepboys

2002-GeeTeeZee
    If you want the Porsche/Ferrari look, do a search for "FoliaTec" or "Foliatec" and "caliper" There is another one "G2" or something. I bought the Folia Tec because it has that exact bright red Porsche caliper look that WILL last. It does cost more but it's worth it. Folia tec also has many other colors.

Censee
    thanks u guys

i just repainted my calipers again (they match now) but yea, i used alot of brake cleaner (be careful it melts the caliper paint) but yea i cleaned em off and used a slightly abrasive pad to clean off everything really good and then i sprayed it again with the brake cleaner. i used some 500 degree engine enamel and it holds up pretty good.

but yea i used to have that black stuff on the calipers too. but for me it wasn't the paint burning or my prep work. it was the drake dust that had caked up on the caliper itself.

o yea for those tampa blue owners, i used a "pontiac blue" engine enamel made by duplicolor and it bet it would match nicely on a tampa blue galant.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

I used the G2 Caliper Paint set.. its almost been a year and it still looks DEAD SEXY...
    All I did was use a wire brush to knock off big rust and then sprayed it with the brake cleaner that came with the kit..

2005 TGC Fantasy Football Champ III
    http://www.Gencoupe.com/garage/3337

Censee
    what do u use to clean it chromie???????can u use degreaser??

G2 kit comes with brake cleaner.. Im sure you can just buy a can of brake cleaner at like autozone, if not, let me know... I still have about 3/4 of that can left.. you pay shipping, I send.. .. just like the can in the pic.. Wire brush to get the rust off, then brake cleaner..
    2005 TGC Fantasy Football Champ III
    http://www.Gencoupe.com/garage/3337

do u need to take off ur calipers to paint them?

do u need to take off ur calipers to paint them? or do guys jst use tape to get the right areas?

Tiptronic
    honestly, and its not the way to do, i just spray the whole damn thing and let the brakes eat the rest off. works fine for me.

taping the rotors would be the better bet. i'm just lazy

balln8g
    Quote Originally Posted by 11B
    honestly, and its not the way to do, i just spray the whole damn thing and let the brakes eat the rest off. works fine for me.

taping the rotors would be the better bet. i'm just lazy
    LOL...I used to do it that way too, until I bought my cross drilled rotors. I did it the right way by sanding and cleaning the rotors and they still look good.