The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: has anyone used td04's in their 6a12

Showing results 1 to 12 of 12
    Reaver : Grocery Getter

has anyone used td04's in their 6a12

i would like to swap my stock turbos for two td04's and was quite happy with the idea. recently ppl have been saying to be careful as my motor does not repond well to a decent amount of boost. i would like to find someone who has already done this swap and hear how well it is running. Please include any engine mods that you may have made. Pros and cons of the swap would be appreciated.

HiperSilver
    2 tdo4 would be fine, but i wouldnt get boost happy since you are going to need to build your engine, a

Quote Originally Posted by HiperSilver
    2 tdo4 would be fine, but i wouldnt get boost happy since you are going to need to build your engine, a
    i dont quite understand what u r saying. since i am going to need to build my engine???

also, do you have a 6a12 with td04's installed?

do you have a stock 6a12TT? or any other mods?

TD04 = 13g am i correct?

i have a stock 6a12. nothing has been done to my engine. all work and mods that this car will end up with will be done by me.

i am trying to take some pics of my ride and my dirty engine tomorrow

whats ur stock turbo?!? cuz the td04 isnt a big turbo from what i read

the stock engine comes with two td02's if i am not mistaken/drunk.
    i have heard that they apper to be the same relative size as the td04, but naturally the 4's are more potent.

from what i have seen the tdo4 and the td02 are pretty much small turbo's, u shouldnt really have much of a problem switching them, however, i dont know much about your engine...try asking some of the guys in the international forum, cuz basically everything i gonna tell u is gonna be based on research which might not be 100% accurate

HiperSilver
    dude you have to be specific, saying td04, is like a saying a 14b or a 20g, HUGE DIFFERENCE

a td04 can be a 9b, 13g, 17g, 18t, there are huge difference in flow rates...but if you have a td02, it should be a significant upgrade to a td04...specially if its twin turbo, i believe a td04 coems with a 6cm housing, thats very similar to a td02, which is either a 6cm or a 5cm housing. But then again a 16g and a 20g have a 7 cm housing so you cant really tell by just the size...but you have to specify what kind of td04..

6A12 TT

TD04 9B is stock on the 3000GT VR4 and is rated at 320hp@6000rpm & 315 lb.ft @ 2500rpm at 12 psi.
    The stock turbo from the 6A12TT (TD025M I think) gives 240 hp@6000rpm & 228 lb.ft@3500rpm at about 9psi.

I think the TD04 9B would be a good upgrade for the 6A12TT and I may very well try it on my daughter's '96 VR4 when I get my upgrade turbo's (TD04 15G) for my 3000cc TT VR4. All I will need to add are larger injectors & fuel pump.

BTW, I used to run 16 psi on my stock TD025M Turbos' 'til i overboost to + 20psi in 5th gear racing an Evo IV & damaged two pistons.
    Mods : 3" Exhaust, K&N Intake, MBC, Haltech E6K Engine Management, RX7 Fuel Pump.
    I think 6A12TT internals can handle 16psi safely, which it did for me for over one year. Do not allow detonation & excessive boost. My VR4 did mid 13's in the 1/4 in 35-40*C heat.

HiperSilver
    run race gas and no more detonation or knock, and more poudns