The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Over 100k miles

Showing results 1 to 5 of 5
    TGC Regular

Over 100k miles

making sure my Galant drives me around for another year or so, just wondering what i should look out for as in maintaining if its over 100k.

I do carbon/air system cleaning every 15k, daily minor tune ups making sure spark plugs and the connectors are great. replaced the valve gasket already, no oil leaks anywhere, radiator in great shape including all hoses, new yellow top battery, alternator still in function but was the original. Probably the timing belt is what i should change next. Anything im missing? transmission?

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

Did you change the timing belt at 60,000? If not, then yes, change the timing belt AND water pump.

i would deffinatly do a timing belt and a water pump at the same time with a thermostat and radiator cap, as well as check all the rubber parts on your car, like hoses and belts and make sure they are up to par. i could go on, but im just very picky how i maintain my car. but i would start there as thats the heart beat of your car, with out that you wouldnt get very far.

TGC Regular
    radiotor cap just replaced, i did the timing belt around 50k....change? im at like 112k. Now you gotta pump some info into me about the water pump and thermostat.

which i researched....

Thermostat - *Any liquid-cooled car engine has a small device called the thermostat that sits between the engine and the radiator. Its job is to block the flow of coolant to the radiator until the engine has warmed up. When the engine is cold, no coolant flows through the engine.

Water pump - uses centrifugal force to send fluid to the outside while it spins, causing fluid to be drawn from the center continuously. The inlet to the pump is located near the center so that fluid returning from the radiator hits the pump vanes.

Anything else i need to know about these two things that is made for our cars?

2002 ES i4 SOHC Mitsubishi Galant

When you go to replace the water pump just do the timing belt again as well. It is essentially right there when you do the water pump anyway.