The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Which tires should I pick?

Showing results 1 to 15 of 15

Which tires should I pick?

I am purchasing a tire and wheel package from a website and they are giving me a choice of different tires. All the choices are 215/45 but they vary in brands and styles...here's the quick breakdown:

Hankook Ventus 215/45ZR-17 (looks like an aquatread)
    Nitto NT 450 Extreme 215/45ZR-17
    Falken Ziex ZE-512 215/45ZR-17
    Falken Azenis 215/50R-17

As far as price is concerned, the latter is the most expensive. I don't plan on racing a lot and I will use this car daily in all weather. Also, just in case it makes a difference, I will probably getting the Eibach Pro-kit at the same time I put my rims on.

I hope someone can help me with some knowledgeable input :?
    "No matter what you do, look good doing it!"

Rare Elementz "What makes you stand out?"

First off, I would try to upgrade to a 225/45/17 tire. It matches the overall size of the OEM wheel and tire better, plus you'll have more rubber to ride on.

I once had some Hankook Ventus Plus tires. They aren't bad for regular driving. They even lasted a while before they wore out. Nitto and Falken are better, but if you don't have the money, the Hankooks are good.

What would be some of the negative impacts that I could expect from riding my G on 215/45/17 versus 225/45/17? And how fast after installing my new wheels should I start shopping for new tires?

I am going to ask the place if they can give me a deal on 225's instead of 215's...maybe they can hook me up since I am probably buying my pro-kit from them as well.

With 215's, your speedometer will be slightly off at higher speeds. Plus the ride will be a slight be rougher since there is less tire. Having less tire could lead to a damaged wheel easier after hitting a pot hole.

On a side note, I should mention that the Hankook tires were very noisy. More road noise than a few other tires I have had.

What David said and my input is the Falken ZIEX 512 is a very good tire. From what I hear from customers. I can not vouch for it myself but I get alot of inquiries for it.

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Okay ...one last question. I think I found the rims I'm going to buy but in the package they offer 235/45's....will this be a bad choice like picking 215/45's??? Thanks for your help!

Tarmac
    if you're going with a 235 you should go with a 40 series sidewall.

what's the offset of your wheels...? you gotta be careful that you're not going to be rubbing on the control arms in the rear with the 235.

ok..as it turns out, they were out of stock of the wheels I wanted along with my other top 3 picks!!! That sucks!!! Anyways...here's what i am probably getting:

http://www.whalentire.com/wheeldetail.cfm?...7T0440S&size=17

That should be it...can someone please let me know if this will work well with my 8G...I'm about to pull my hair out ! :puzzled1:

Okay..I am still getting a package and these will be wrapped by Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's - 225/45 R17....will I have any problems???

Quote Originally Posted by vic_v_jr
    ok..as it turns out, they were out of stock of the wheels I wanted along with my other top 3 picks!!! That sucks!!! Anyways...here's what i am probably getting:

http://www.whalentire.com/wheeldetail.cfm?...7T0440S&size=17

That should be it...can someone please let me know if this will work well with my 8G...I'm about to pull my hair out ! :puzzled1:

Okay..I am still getting a package and these will be wrapped by Kumho Ecsta Supra 712's - 225/45 R17....will I have any problems???
    Yup, those rims and tires you have picked out will fit just fine.

Thanks Danj....how do you think they'll look? I didn't want to get a rim that looks like something stock. I also wanted it shiny but not chrome. That's the best one I could find in my price range.

balln8g
    That's the best one I could find in my price range.
    What exactly are you paying for the package deal????? I assume you shopped around for them but if you haven't,,,get the lowest quote you can,then call Discount Tire,,,they'll beat whatever quote you can show them. This saved me $1,200 last year alone on wheels and tires.

Good luck.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(vic_v_jr)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks Danj....how do you think they'll look? Â*I didn't want to get a rim that looks like something stock. Â*I also wanted it shiny but not chrome. Â*That's the best one I could find in my price range.</div>

I've seen the same rims on a Galant before and they looked real nice. You should be happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by balln8g
    That's the best one I could find in my price range.
    What exactly are you paying for the package deal????? I assume you shopped around for them but if you haven't,,,get the lowest quote you can,then call Discount Tire,,,they'll beat whatever quote you can show them. This saved me $1,200 last year alone on wheels and tires.

Good luck.
    I looked at Discount tire, I didn't see this wheel amongst the package deals...I'll look again. But I got my best price with the exact tire that I want from Whalentire.com. My package includes:

Wheels, tires, Free tire replacement warranty, Chrome lugnuts, lock nuts and shipping.

All for $1101.24!!

I haven't found sites that offer the size tire that I need which is why I like Whalentire.com. They have a larger variety of options at decent prices. But I guess I should call and see if they can custom tailor me a package? Is that what you did?

Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ
    Thanks Danj....how do you think they'll look? I didn't want to get a rim that looks like something stock. I also wanted it shiny but not chrome. That's the best one I could find in my price range.
    I've seen the same rims on a Galant before and they looked real nice. You should be happy with them.
    I hope so Danj...Next month on the 21st I will throw in an Eibach pro-kit to help complete the look.

escoson
    go with ziex, there what i use 225/40/zr18 in front and 235/40/zr18 in rear. they hold up very well and wear nicely.