The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: So I Now Own A New Transmission

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Showing results 21 to 29 of 29
    3g and the stratus trans are the same, difference between the 2 comes with the flywheel and clutch setups, if u use a stratus flywheel u have to use a stratus clutch, if u use a 3g flywheel u have to use a 3g clutch (i beleive this is for the v6 only)

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Mkay. gotcha thanks.

the only difference i see in the cables is from the pictures ive seen the larger link is facing down on the eclipse and on this setup it faces up
    RIP GALANT, GOOD MORNING BMW 330i

330i ZSP (E90) - S4 (B5) / hellaflush

Quote Originally Posted by lonestar22 View Post
    the only difference i see in the cables is from the pictures ive seen the larger link is facing down on the eclipse and on this setup it faces up
    the probem with that is, its possible that if an OEM mitsu cable is used, it might bind and that can affect shifter feel and the ability to shift through the gears.
    Jigz-TGCIL Sosick Motorsports

R.I.P. Christopher "CRAZY CHRIS" Beckmann
    "you dont appreciate friendship until you lose your bestfriend...."
    I'd rather have the knowledge and ability to do it than the money to buy it already done.

I just posted 2 links to Sonata manual trannies in the FS forum
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

all parts come in tomorrow minus the clutch. i dont want my car sitting at my shop if this doesnt work out so i may just do it at home, but the lift i have there is definantly calling me

the one thing that has me stumped is the way the linkage for the shifter is mounted. where on the eclipse the larger of the two faces upward, on the sonata it faces down. it looks to me as they mount up the same but the direction they move may or may not be different. that is one thing i plan to find out. if all goes well this could be a great alternative to those that one to get rid of their slushbox and save some money at the same time. if it doesnt work the rumors will be put to rest. here are some pics of the tranny, i want some opinions on what you guys think of the setup.

i posted this on club3g and got this response

Quote Originally Posted by Black_out View Post
    You have one problem here. As a well known member of RDTiburon.com, I think I can give you some advice here as we work a great deal with all Hyundai's.

First off, what year Sonata was the tranny pulled from?

It seems you have figured out the one flaw you should have mounting it up, Shift Linkage. Hyundai uses a reverse style clutch/tranny. I can't remember off the top of my head, but I believe its a Push style, whereas Mitsubishi uses a Pull style. Like you said it will shift opposite how you wanted, however, it's a pretty easy fix. The clutch engagement forks just need to be swapped around so that it goes from Push to Pull. Lots of guys on RDT have done this mod so that they can use the 2g Eclipse clutches.

That should be your one problem you have, but it's a simple fix for a cheap alternative tranny. Hope that helps, if you need more info just PM me.
    so today i hooked the shifter up to the tranny to see which gears did what in what position. as it turns out which cable does what is reversed from out platform. it will not work with the cabels in their normal position. with the cables swaped around after the mount on the tranny, the reverse gear was in the bottom right position. where its supposed to be. so it should work as long as the cables do not bind. i also need the piece that connects the fork that connects to the throw out bearing to the slave cylinder. does anyone know what this piece is called?

Hey I was seeing if theirs any progress in this swap and/or how it turned out? as I'm very interested in doing it myself.

if you use a custom steel braided clutch line to connect the hyundai slave to the mitsu master. it will work. also switch the shifter cables around which is cake and it will work. there are plenty of trannys where i got mine from if u need one

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12