The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: just a little project

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

just a little project

(if this is in the wrong section, feel free to move it)

well, now that summer is here i have some free time, and i got tired of looking at the rust spot that came on the car, so i picked up some bondo and sandpaper and went to work.

took this picture the day i got the car, more paint had chipped off since then:

using a dremel to sand it down to bare metal after hammering out the dent as much as i could:

more pics later after a few coats of bondo.

Experienced TGC Member
    Looks pretty good, I have a similar dent on my right rear corner to fix yet too...its a PITA to get inside the corner there.

what i would do for he piece of pinched metal would be to grab some sort of chisel or something that'll fit on there and see if you can push that put a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by es_fact View Post
    what i would do for he piece of pinched metal would be to grab some sort of chisel or something that'll fit on there and see if you can push that put a bit.
    i did. problem is that in that corner theres another sheet of metal that overlaps from inside the trunk, so i couldn't get it out any further.

3rd layer of bondo is drying:

Experienced TGC Member
    Yea I know what you mean about that corner. I tried gettting mine fixed a little better so I didn't have to apply too much body filler, but it would take a few good hits from a hammer and that has me a little worried about doing more damage than good.

Quote Originally Posted by DFX View Post
    i did. problem is that in that corner theres another sheet of metal that overlaps from inside the trunk, so i couldn't get it out any further.
    Tah!....I see a nice bike possibly?

dad's 88 softail

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DFX View Post
    dad's 88 softail
    Thought is was a softail front end...I used to ride a Dyna so thats why I asked about it.

Anyways, don't want to take away from the topic. I am waiting to see how this project comes out for you because I may end up going back to it myself.

managed to get it done today. its not perfect, but its pretty close. i dont think i did a bad job considering its only the second time i've used bondo (first was on a bumper i got from the junkyard)

going to swing by the bodyshop after work tomorrow and set up a date to drop the car off. means i'll have to drive the focus for a few days :(
    Last edited by DFX; 05-20-2009 at 06:56 PM

Unfortunately I have the same hubcaps lol bondo jobs looks pretty good though man.

ok, getting the car painted next week, end result pics as soon as i get the car back.

Experienced TGC Member
    Great job man, second time or not it still looks better than some of the "Did-It-Myself" work I see out here. I think it came out pretty good honestly

thanks. one guy i showed the pics to told me i should go into bodywork.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    good job bro, i got a dent there too but no rust so im not seating it lol.

btw. . . you got a muffler or just a tip??

Quote Originally Posted by IVORY_G View Post
    never pull out, always squeeze inside! LOL!

its just a tip that you can get from any auto parts store.

looks good

well, was busy today making calls during work and begging to get off early to make sure i got the car back today. i have to say, i'm really impressed by this shop. for $425 he did both my quarter panels, fixed up all the small chips and scratches, and went over some of my mistakes. he told me that i didn't have enough hardener in the bondo, so i think he redid some of what i had done. anyway, here are the final pics:

nice work! in the 2nd picture looks like he missed a spot along the edge though

yeah. im not too worried about it though. at least the rust is gone and its back to its original shape.