The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: crankshaft pulley

Showing results 1 to 14 of 14
    TGC Regular

crankshaft pulley

I have a 94 es... the book shows that to remove it i have to unbolt the center bolt... the pic is shows is a pulley that has holes and it doesnt have the 4 smaller bolts. Mine is solid... there are 4 13mm bolts and then a large 7/8 bolt in the middle... how do i remove it. Do i have to unbolt all of them? If so how do i keep the pulley from moving?

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    some use a crank puller, others use brute and a prybar.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

You are here entirely tooo much!! seth98esT's Avatar
    To remove the harmonic balancer(pulley for the accessory belts), you have to remove the 4 12mm bolts and pull at it or carefully pry it with a prybar.

To remove the crank gear(for the timing belt), you have to remove the large bolt in the center and more then likely use a gear puller.
    7g for life!

TGC Regular
    ok i got another question. Btw i got the harmonic balencer off.... Low for the lower timing belt cover there is a bolt that is right underneath of my water pump pulley.... It wont come out all the way because the pulley is in the way... what should be dont about that???? should i unbolt my other 2 middle tans/motor mounts and lower the engine and pull the pulley off? Or is there a trick to it?
    thanks guys

Experienced TGC Member
    Im almost 100% positive that there is a bolt that is behind the pulley. Youll need to remove it anyhow assuming youre going to change your timing belt.

TGC Regular
    no there is a bolt behind there.... i am not replaceing my timing belt it was just replaced. I am checking to see if my timing skipped a tooth.... but i have to pull off that water pump pulley to remove the bolt... it sucks

Experienced TGC Member
    You own a 7g. Get used to it. LOL.. BTW if your timing skipped a tooth something isnt right. Did you replace the hydraulic tensioner? If not i HIGHLY recommend doing so. I was hard headed and had the "it will be ok" state of mind and it damn near costed me a good chunk of change AND a head that i spent MANY HOURS porting and polishing.

TGC Regular
    No i dont believe that it was replaced... and the sad part is that i had a shop do this for me and they never mentioned anything about replacing the tensioner..

Experienced TGC Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skrap View Post
    No i dont believe that it was replaced... and the sad part is that i had a shop do this for me and they never mentioned anything about replacing the tensioner..
    Well man. The good news is that im giving you the best advice possible on this situation. The bad news is is if you dont listen you will run into a major problem and you MAY not be as lucky as i am. So save yourself the grief and spend the 100 bucks to buy a new one.

TGC Regular
    ok sounds good to me i was planning on it.... lol thanks for the advice!

TGC Regular
    Well saldy it happened... My camshaft has skipped 1 tooth to the right... Im going to have mko or someone verifiy it. it it 100% true then its time for me to tear the head down to make sure that my valves arent bent... I am soo pissed off right now.. this sucks

dude if it skipped just one tooth it will be fine, just put the belt back in the correct spot and try - you will most likely not have any bent valves. Any more than 3 teeth then I would be worried.

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i concur.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

TGC Regular
    yea im going to look at it. i just got a DD so im debating on weither to do the headswap... we shall see