The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Rear prothane motor mount insert - something is very wrong

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16

Rear prothane motor mount insert - something is very wrong

I've finished my other three mounts, but I paused before removing the rear roll stopper mount insert. Take a look at the prothane insert I have:

The opening is massive compared to the stock one. I know it's way to big for the bolt that passes through. The rear mount just came as you see it - shrinkwrapped to the cardboard, no bushing or anything. The other three came with bushings.

Is something missing? The Prothane one is tagged as a rear insert for a 00-04 Eclipse 4cyl.

Can I just head to the hardware store and find a sleeve that will work as a bushing to stick in there?
    2000 Mitsubishi Galant (totalled by semi, RIP)

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:
    - Engine/5spd trans/interior/suspension/brakes/etc. all moved from old car
    - 5spd | Outlander IM | StopTech BBK | Defi VSD-X HUD

You are here entirely tooo much!! fatal1's Avatar
    hmm my rear was a full mount but that looks like it works in conjuncdtion to your stock mount. when it is reinserted in the sleeve on the motor it will hold tight...if you look at the grooves it looks like it just goes over the other mount

I don't have a side profile to show it, but the prothane is solid to the core. Putting them together would fill the metal mount, so it won't fit with the stock insert in there.

Can anyone post a picture of what their urethane rear mount looks like?

Would I cause any harm by making myself a bushing to take up the gap?

2000 Mitsubishi Galant - Bought off Craigslist, received organ donation from last one:

Ok, this is bulls*(*$#@.

I checked the OD, and they're too small to even fit in the mount. I guess I have to leave this one stock

How much play do you think it'll give the engine? is it bad having one stock and 3 urethane?

I got all 4 as a set off eBay, but that was like 5 or 6 months ago, so I doubt I can get it exchanged.

You are here entirely tooo much!! Stewi's Avatar
    Everyone has this issue, everyone acts the way you are "OMG it wont fit blah blah blah" I only know this because I did the same thing 4 years ago. IT DOES FIT. You leave the stock insert in there and press those two things in from the sides and it closes it all up, you need to do this with a PRESS. Take it to a machine shop or a good mechanical shop, they may charge you $10 to press it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by qnz
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

wierd...

Well, thanks for the clarification, but it's still hard for me to believe. Does the existing rubber just crush? The urethane mounts are solid on the backside, and they're deep enough that they'll almost fill the depth of the mount.

I ask, because I'm afraid that the stock rubber will try to push them out over time.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but do you have any pictures of your augmented mount?

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    well by the looks of the inserts I dont see how it would get pushed out, as one side if full of plastic which will hold it in place when you put the bolt in.

Eheh. Good point. I'm gonna look around today, see who can press it in for me.

Well, I'm still not sure. I took it to a shop with a press, and when they took the press off, the urethane just backed out of the mount. I know everything's supposed to be tight, but are you supposed to be able to hand-fit the urethane at the beginning? The gap is a little to small to start it on both sides of that central rubber bridge in the stock insert.

It doesn't help that the guy who did the work was skeptical to begin with, but he does have a lot of experience...

Can anyone provide me a picture of these installed?

EDIT: That first bit wasn't that clear. What's happening is that the shaped part of the urethane is just digging into the factory rubber instead of moving into the gaps in the factory insert. It's like the urethane bridges are still too close together, and the factory insert pushes them out after the press is removed.
    Last edited by charris; 06-09-2009 at 04:15 PM

Quote Originally Posted by charris View Post
    Well, I'm still not sure. I took it to a shop with a press, and when they took the press off, the urethane just backed out of the mount. I know everything's supposed to be tight, but are you supposed to be able to hand-fit the urethane at the beginning? The gap is a little to small to start it on both sides of that central rubber bridge in the stock insert.

It doesn't help that the guy who did the work was skeptical to begin with, but he does have a lot of experience...

Can anyone provide me a picture of these installed?

EDIT: That first bit wasn't that clear. What's happening is that the shaped part of the urethane is just digging into the factory rubber instead of moving into the gaps in the factory insert. It's like the urethane bridges are still too close together, and the factory insert pushes them out after the press is removed.
    ask and you shall receive....

Image courtesy of BostonHatcher from Club3g.com

this insert is black not red, but its the same part.

print that pic out and bring it to the shop and tell him to make it happen...
    well there are talkers and there are do'ers. talkers never do. and do'ers never talk
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Thanks a TON for that.

I think I might see if we have a custom shop here that is a little more geared toward what I'm doing. I took it to a suspension shop whose owner is a family friend, but he probably doesn't know that much more than I do...
    Last edited by charris; 06-09-2009 at 07:54 PM

Experienced TGC Member Dominicano's Avatar
    and when you get it done take a picture of it so the next guy knows what to look for.

Is it only on the I4 application that it's like that? The ones I got for my V6 were all solid inserts that replaced the stock rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ View Post
    Is it only on the I4 application that it's like that? The ones I got for my V6 were all solid inserts that replaced the stock rubber.
    correct. The V6 rear insert is about 1/4" larger in diameter and its one solid insert like the front & sides.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS

Quote Originally Posted by Stewi View Post
    correct. The V6 rear insert is about 1/4" larger in diameter and its one solid insert like the front & sides.
    I take it that the v6 rear mount won't fit the I4?

It looks 1/4" is roughly the diametrical difference between the urethane insert and the metal mount.

Quote Originally Posted by charris View Post
    I take it that the v6 rear mount won't fit the I4?

It looks 1/4" is roughly the diametrical difference between the urethane insert and the metal mount.
    Yup it wont fit, I tried about 2 years ago and no dice.
    99' Galant ES
    4G64/63T
    AEM EMS