The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Pulling and Rebuilding Engine (6G72)

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Pulling and Rebuilding Engine (6G72)

Well, today while I was changing my oil, I finally found where my oil was going between oil changes. It ended up on the firewall and all down the undercarriage. The car has 178k on it and I figured that since I have access to all the tools to do it, why not pull the motor and overhaul it. Maybe I could even upgrade a few things while I am there.

Basically, I guess I'd just pull the motor out of the car, and take it nearly completely apart and replace all the gaskets, seals and other parts that are prone to wear and tear. Maybe new piston rings and stuff like that.

While it was out, if I had the money, I may do the transmission swap too.

What do you guys think? Is it a good idea or no?

Experienced TGC Member showtime's Avatar
    5 speed for sure!

Okay, I know everyone will be enthusiastic about the swap, but is pulling my motor and doing all this stuff a smart thing to do? :)

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    If you're gonna start tearing that engine apart, make sure things are done properly. Aka surfaces machined, etc etc.

Machined meaning?

Quote Originally Posted by youngin3 View Post
    Machined meaning?
    Taking the block to a machine shop. Having the cylinders checked, re-honed, clearances checked, and having the block decked and magnafluxed...
    Last edited by M-Rod; 06-27-2009 at 03:08 AM
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Oh okay.

I guess I could go get a 6G74 head and have it checked to put on.

There's a lot of ways to go about this. I guess I need to get some prices and see how I want to go about doing all of it.

72 and 74 heads are the same. Only difference is the cam in each head. Our stock 72 cams are top-end, while the 74 cams make more power and torque in the lower to mid RPM range if I recall correctly.
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile

Experienced TGC Member
    If you don't have at least $800-1000 on hand to rebuild the engine completely then I would suggest you start looking at the top end and oil pan gaskets. When I originally purchased mine in March the previous owners had neglected it severly The mileage on the car was at 172K, and still sitting at that as its being completely gone over in multiple areas (check out my build thread for more) I had oil all over the under carriage and other parts. It took a while to clean everything up (as it remained in the vehicle when doing all the work), but I eventually found out the previous mechanic used a premade gasket on the oil pan.

Apparently the premade gaskets are not sufficient with sealing and most people suggest doing the RTV sealant instead to avoid such leaks. Also they never tightened the oil filter on all the way which only added to the leaking oil issue. I proceeded to check the valve cover gaskets as well as there was clear proof that those too had been leaking.

Depending on how much money you have to spend at this time, or how long you can deal with the car being "out of commission," you will want to consider the options. I am in a similar area as you are for pulling the engine. I was planning to swap engine and trans all at once, but I need the vehicle so I decided to do some "basic" maintenance and replacing a lot of parts, but also adding some parts that can benefit a future engine build this winter as well.

get a 6g74 and rebuild that :D

I don't know how much time and money you have but here's how I'd go at it: get a spare engine. It will allow you to take your time to do it right, spread out the expense, and minimize your downtime.

Downtime doesnt matter. I have three cars.

I would just pay for it as I go. My paycheck is around 350 a week, so I can manage to do something probably every week.

How much more do you think I would have to spend to go with a light turbo? Since the motor is out, I could do all the measuring and stuff like that easily. I have been sorta pondering the idea, but I don't know if I want to dive into something like that.

so I am gonna subscribe to this one as I am in the middle of deciding engines myself..I dunno if I want to rebuild my 6G72 or somehow pull a 4G63 outta my ass and throw that in there...

Experienced TGC Member
    Downtime doesnt matter. I have three cars.

I would just pay for it as I go. My paycheck is around 350 a week, so I can manage to do something probably every week.

How much more do you think I would have to spend to go with a light turbo? Since the motor is out, I could do all the measuring and stuff like that easily. I have been sorta pondering the idea, but I don't know if I want to dive into something like that.
    Well $350 a week isn't bad, but is the entire $350 able to be put towards the engine and no other expenses? If you are looking to go turbo than you are starting to look at an expense of $2500+ depending on the overall setup.

Ok. No turbo.

I can't spend that much on that. No, the 350 is not all able to go towards it. The most I could probably put away towards the car every week is 200.

I would just get a 6g74 and put it in. Its well worth it even if you do stay automatic. My Eclipse has the 6G74 in it and i love it. Makes my 5 speed stratus RT feel so slow and sluggish.
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT

I would have to get my VIN number changed though, wouldn't I?

How does that affect my inspection process?

I would have to get my VIN number changed though, wouldn't I?

How does that affect my inspection process?
    Well as far as inspection i do not know. Because here in KY where i live we do not have to have the extensive inspections like most states require. But no, no VIN change at all.
    Im sure you could get away with it tho, because my 6G74 swap in my eclipse was installed and with no problems and NO CEL codes thrown. :)
    02StratusRT and 00EclipseGT