The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fifth Gear, High RPM ?????

Showing results 1 to 11 of 11
    ryankalel

Fifth Gear, High RPM ?????

I have a 94 S Galant and when I am in 5th gear going about 80 mph it is right around 3500 RPM. After about 2 hours or so I stop for a break or gas whatever. Then when I get back on the road I hit 80 mph but it is up at 4500+ RPM. I have tried putting it in neutral and then back into 5th but that does not do anything. If I don't stop it slowly creeps up to higher RPM's too. The only thing that works is stopping for a 2 or more hours and letting it cool down.

Any ideas. thanks in advance.

you have an innacurate tach and / or speedo.

your car is NOT actually running at at different RPM.

I have also noticed this condition on some of the 94 to 98 galants over a long drive.

HiperSilver
    yea..can you hear the higher rpms or it just shows a reading

Initial -G-host
    sounds like your tranny is going.

You are here entirely tooo much!! peanotation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Initial -G-host
    sounds like your tranny is going.
    high possibility. i can generally cruise comfortably going 100 or so and keep the rpms well below 4K. even when i went 115 the other day i was barely over 4K, just that the car looses all power for me at that point.
    http://socallifestyle.com/

1994 Galant GS 5spd

galAZNt
    Definately your tranny is in pain. Best thing to do is to get your tranny power flushed and also change the tranny fluid filter. This way you spend some $$ and it might fix the problem for now. Or just ride it out until your tranny dies.
    Same thing happened to me cuz i neglected my tranny for 60000 miles.

Audiphile
    How do you guys/gals figure its the tranny? what could be wrong with it?

Initial -G-host
    Its very possible that the gears on your tranny are worn. I truly think that even changing tranny fluid will not save your tranny, just prolong its use for a couple of months. Its highly likely your gear teeth have worn down that much to where your transmission has to work twice as hard to achieve motion...thus the higher RPM. Once the sensors in the tranny pretty much tell the TCU and ECU that your tranny is pretty much fried, it will lock. Why I say this because I have blown 2 trannies in my driving career 1 in my Cutlass 442 and my Galant.

1. Tranny suddenly make "clicking noises" when putting into gear and are generally loud.

2. You start to hear a "whining" noise when you are moving.

3. When coming to a stop, it feels like the car is jerking. (Motor will sound like its on a higher rpm than your speed, and then a sudden jerk like the tranny just caught up)

4. Very sluggish accelerations or/and paused acceleration

5. Tranny leaking fluid

6. Sudden drop in gas milage

7. High RPM's on compared to your speed.

The first 6 months I got my Galant i topped out around 140 mph+ but just 5 month before my tranny fried, I only topped out at barely 100mph and noticed I redlining through my gears much quicker that usual. Come to find out I fried the gears (especially 1st and 2nd and some other internal parts of the tranny)

PMMA1997
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Initial -G-host)</div><div class='quotemain'> Once the sensors in the tranny pretty much tell the TCU and ECU that your tranny is pretty much fried, it will lock.</div>

What do you mean by "LOCK"?

Initial -G-host
    Tranny will not let you get into gear.

Audiphile
    I believe that you're talking about an automatic transmission, while the problem here is with a manual gearbox. your logic wont work with a 5-speed (and the gears in the autobox dont wear, the clutch-packs and torque converters wear out)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Initial -G-host)</div><div class='quotemain'>Its very possible that the gears on your tranny are worn. I truly think that even changing tranny fluid will not save your tranny, just prolong its use for a couple of months. Its highly likely your gear teeth have worn down that much to where your transmission has to work twice as hard to achieve motion...thus the higher RPM. Once the sensors in the tranny pretty much tell the TCU and ECU that your tranny is pretty much fried, it will lock. Why I say this because I have blown 2 trannies in my driving career 1 in my Cutlass 442 and my Galant.

1. Tranny suddenly make "clicking noises" when putting into gear and are generally loud.

2. You start to hear a "whining" noise when you are moving.

3. When coming to a stop, it feels like the car is jerking. (Motor will sound like its on a higher rpm than your speed, and then a sudden jerk like the tranny just caught up)

4. Very sluggish accelerations or/and paused acceleration

5. Tranny leaking fluid

6. Sudden drop in gas milage

7. High RPM's on compared to your speed. Â*

The first 6 months I got my Galant i topped out around 140 mph+ but just 5 month before my tranny fried, I only topped out at barely 100mph and noticed I redlining through my gears much quicker that usual. Come to find out I fried the gears (especially 1st and 2nd and some other internal parts of the tranny)</div>