The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Could it be the altenator?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Could it be the altenator?

So I noticed the problem when I was at a local concert. I drove my car to the venue and it was fine then I went to the store about twice and it was fine, but when I left to go home I noticed that the "brake light" and "battery light" came on and the temp. gauge was about half way down from it's original position. It drove home alright for the night but in the morning it wouldn't start. It would crank over a couple of times before starting up. Got a new batt. and it still does the same thing. My guess is the alternator?

Any suggestions?

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    It Could be ur alty but since u put a new battery in it should have started

I would say check ur connections and wires also test the battery and make sure its fine

do u have a sound system if yes check the power wires and the ground wires
    03 I4

I'd get the alternator tested. even with a brand new battery, if the alternator is bad, the car would be running on straight battery thus draining the battery much quicker than it would with a good alternator

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

before it started acting up my battery was about 4 months old, then I starting having this problem and I get the battery checked and it's drained. I got a new one and i starts up, but sometimes it starts up fine and sometimes it takes a min. to start up.

Experienced TGC Member jimmy_o2's Avatar
    sounds like its time for a new alty
    03 I4

A common symptom of poor alternator voltage is a battery and brake light. Interestingly enough the 'battery light' never actually really means the battery is bad. It is actually a voltage light that comes on when the vehicle's voltage drops below typically 11 volts

The voltage regulator inside the alternator may be bad, causing a diode ripple, and current draw (eventually wearing out battery after battery).