The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Front end help

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Front end help

I have an '01 ES V6 that is giving me some greif. When I brake, the steering wheel shudders (turns left & right quickly), and there is a pulsation from the brake pedal. Of course it is worse with speed and stopping short. I have done some searching in regards to the problem, and I didn't see anything that directly relates to the problems I have. I did see information to vibration when accelerating relating to bent rims and blown bushings and the ever popular "lancer brakes". I've recently discovered two torn bushings on the drivers side and have had a tie rod replaced about a year ago (car not in my posession, so I don't know the events leading to the tie rod replacement). I know that the rotors have a tendancy to warp, but I am unsure if this is what warpped rotors feel like (it seems to be too much happening for just one thing). Consequently, I have ridden shotgun and all the happenings can be mistaken for road vibrations when sitting in the front passenger seat. I don't know if this can also be associated with improperly bled brakes and air in the lines. Additionally, the brakes seem to fade and takes a lot to stop the car. The ABS has kicked in a few times. I don't know if this is due to non-mitsu pads?
    Any input would be greatly appreciated. TIA.
    Last edited by mred101; 07-08-2009 at 11:47 PM

sounds like your rotors need replacing, replace your pads too just in case the pads might be causing the rotors to warp
    uhhhh...... Whats a 9g???

take ur front wheels off and inspect rotors & brakes, look for deep scratches or un even brake ware,from wat u describe sounds like bad rotors.the G is prone to these probs (rotors/brakes).

I would recommend you go to the nearest shop near you and get a full brake inspection.

- Pulsation from the brake pedal usually indicated warped rotors.
    - Weak brake pedal typically means the pads are worn down, and it takes more of a press to push brake fluid into the brakes.
    - The ABS light would not come on because of non-OEM brake pads.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

The pads and rotors are newer, say about 7k miles on them. T-belt done around 92k miles, and the tech said they were basically new. Just starting to inch towards 98,000.
    I've checked the rotors and have not seen anything that would indicate uneven wear.
    I figured the rotors are warpped and that's what is causing the pulsation. My concern is with the steering wheel and the stopping power.

Quote Originally Posted by mred101 View Post
    My concern is with the steering wheel and the stopping power.
    It doesn't matter if the pads and rotors were new 7,000 miles ago. If they are very crappy quality, the pads can burn off and the rotors can warp.

If you're concerned about your stopping power, then go get a full brake inspection. Most places will charge you 30-40 bucks.

If you post stupid and incorrect information, you will get red nuggets.

Sweet deal, thanks for the info.