The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: headers and exauhst

Showing results 1 to 16 of 16
    pearlgalant

headers and exauhst

hey guys i dont have alot of money right now and dont want to go all out for headers and exauhst so would these be a decent choice as in holding together and not breaking and give me a decent sound and some horsepower?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Racin...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MITSU...Q5fAccessories

honestly, just get a magnaflow muffler and call it a day, it seems that you are in pursuit of sound rather than performance, and magnaflow is by far the best sound I've heard on the 4 cylinder galant.
    OZ Rally Crew #001, Quaife Club member :D

Your engine does not have headers.

It has an exhaust manifold. (some call it a header, either way you only have one)
    An exhaust manifold is a delicate piece on a n/a or turbocharged vehicle and should be constructed with care and a LOT of research and development.

That is the reason to stick to a known, dyno proven brand. The stock piece will perform just perfectly and I doubt you will see any increase at all with the ebay one.

The ebay one will also probably crack due to shotty material and welds.

Yet another downside would be the fact that you probably wouldn't be able to use the factory heat shield, which would increase your intake temps and probably have a negative effect on your car's performance.

So in short, I vote a big HELL NO on that exhaust manifold.

That exhaust is questionable as well, there is no info there relating to piping size or type of bend on the tubing or the muffler itself.

Due to this lack of information, one could assume the worst and say that it probably is a poor decision as well for the vehicle.

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    I bought that eBay header over a year ago and had noticeable gains. No issues whatsoever, its actually a Megan Racing Header, they just take off the Megan Tag, but it comes in a Megan Box. That heat shield we have doesnt really keep in all of the heat, but it does keep individuals and parts from being scolded. Not to mention looking ugly as f@#&! The header in your engine bay looks so much better.

It was worth the buy IMO, wasnt expensive and got some extra kick. My mechanic even said the welds looked decent and I shouldnt have a problem.

As for the catback exhaust, its not really worth it (unless you had a V6) bcz our stock piping comes 2.25" which is ample sizing for our motors. V6's benefit more from 2.5", I4's would lose to much back pressure killing your low end torque or "off the line" power.

Just stick with a Muffler of your choice that looks decent and has a good sound. I would suggest sticking with a muffler that yuo've heard ifrst hand bcz otherwise you prob will be dissappointed if you dont getting a "Ricer" sound. Might I suggest the Apexi WS Muffler that I have, its sexy and has the best sound IMO. And every1's opinion will be different, thats why I say listen for yourself at your next local meet or something. GL.
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

Quote Originally Posted by pearlgalant View Post
    hey guys i dont have alot of money right now and dont want to go all out for headers and exauhst so would these be a decent choice as in holding together and not breaking and give me a decent sound and some horsepower?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Racin...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MITSU...Q5fAccessories

I have this exact setup if your interested in seeing it go to my car domain page below and click on exhaust...i deleted my cat tho also

pearlgalant
    what do you mean you deleted your cat and you havent any problems with both the items?

what I meant by deleted cat was that I cut off my catalytic converter and welded a straight pipe... and ive had the headers and exhaust with no problems for almost a yr now.

i got the similar exhaust
    and after 2 years it still holding up great and sounds great
    Quote Originally Posted by jubeiaire View Post
    i know a guy that saw a guy that knew a guy that once passed by a car that had been painted. Ill ask him tomorrow after consulting my magic ball to determine WHERE YOU LIVE in proximity to a paint shop NEAR WHERE YOU LIVE..................

To be honest, i bought a universal muffler from ebay when i first got my car. It really didnt sound all that bad, actually, i thought it sounded good. Then i went off and installed my DC Headers and now i have that "RICEY" tone. I hate it. I have been looking into the ebay cat-backs also. I wonder if they would sound good mated to my DC Headers. Anyone sporting something like this that i can get a sound bite from? Actually, anyone with an exhaust from ebay?
    Currently on my 3rd 8G... Not giving up this time!

pearlgalant
    looks like im going to go with that thanks for all the help greatly appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by 2002BlackDragon View Post
    To be honest, i bought a universal muffler from ebay when i first got my car. It really didnt sound all that bad, actually, i thought it sounded good. Then i went off and installed my DC Headers and now i have that "RICEY" tone. I hate it. I have been looking into the ebay cat-backs also. I wonder if they would sound good mated to my DC Headers. Anyone sporting something like this that i can get a sound bite from? Actually, anyone with an exhaust from ebay?
    im guessing you have the 4 cyl. My brother has an eagle talon, sounded so ricey like a pos. We took a resonator off a galant and put it on his car, no more rice... Amazing it would sound so good for being a 4cyl. If you wanna just try just putting a resonator in if you dont already have one already.

I bought those exact headers and exhaust for my 2.4L 2003 Galant, and the only problem I have been having is the headers get so hot that they are damaging the oxygen sensor. I tried putting a spacer between the headers and the o2 sensor but the problem is the new o2 sensors they sell have thicker tips then the stock once on the car and do not fit, if you drill out the spacer to make it fit, then the spacer is to thin and breaks. I’ve attempted to put a heat shield between the headers the o2 sensor but that failed as well.
    The parts will give you a gain in performance and sound, fit fine and install without too many problems (I can email you about the small problems I ran into if you want). If anyone has any solutions about the oxygen sensor please send me some feedback. The problem is that they work for about a week, give or take, and then the check engine light turns on and the catalytic heater within the sensor is damaged tripping the light. This leads to another problem, the engine RPM’s drop really low at times while idling and this is bad for the engine. This has to do with the engine struggling with the fuel to air ratio.
    Anyone have any thoughts?

For pics of my galant with the parts you want to put on go to www.myspace.com/peterczekaj and click pic

Experienced TGC Member johnygezony's Avatar
    Get it, It says racing on it !

You are here entirely tooo much!! IVORY_G's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by VTGalant View Post
    I bought those exact headers and exhaust for my 2.4L 2003 Galant, and the only problem I have been having is the headers get so hot that they are damaging the oxygen sensor. I tried putting a spacer between the headers and the o2 sensor but the problem is the new o2 sensors they sell have thicker tips then the stock once on the car and do not fit, if you drill out the spacer to make it fit, then the spacer is to thin and breaks. I’ve attempted to put a heat shield between the headers the o2 sensor but that failed as well.
    The parts will give you a gain in performance and sound, fit fine and install without too many problems (I can email you about the small problems I ran into if you want). If anyone has any solutions about the oxygen sensor please send me some feedback. The problem is that they work for about a week, give or take, and then the check engine light turns on and the catalytic heater within the sensor is damaged tripping the light. This leads to another problem, the engine RPM’s drop really low at times while idling and this is bad for the engine. This has to do with the engine struggling with the fuel to air ratio.
    Anyone have any thoughts?

For pics of my galant with the parts you want to put on go to www.myspace.com/peterczekaj and click pic
    Sounds like you may have another problem with you're engine thats causing you to run too rich and in turn making the exhaust run too hot. Check over your engine and see what else might be wrong... I had a similar problem with a 240SX I had, put new exhaust & headers on and kept burning through exhaust gaskets and it had turned my headers damn near blue. Even my muffler went from polished steel to bronze, never figured out what was wrong...
    JDM Zenki Conversion

Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth. (Proverbs 10:4 NIV)

I have megan racing headers and a magnaflow exhaust and I love it. Car runs good and it sounds awesome!!
    Flipininja

Quote Originally Posted by Flipininja-GTZ View Post
    I have megan racing headers and a magnaflow exhaust and I love it. Car runs good and it sounds awesome!!
    But you have to remember that he has a 4 cylinder where you have the V6
    '99 5-Speed GTZ: Forged 3.6L 6G74T 6764 E85
    2017: 552whp/562wtq SBE on 19psi
    '02 Eclipse GT: 6G72 M/T-swapped Daily Driver
    '10 Endeavor: 6G75 AWD Family-mobile