The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Ideal muffler dimensions...

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6
    bboyck

Ideal muffler dimensions...

I've seen both TOC8g and PinoyESV6 rave about how AC Autotechnic Revolution mufflers are the mufflers to have for I4 8g Galants... Excellent price and sound. So I'm already sold with the AC Revolution muffler.

I'm just curious as to what dimensions are the best to look for in the muffler... Ideally just far enough to fit at the edge of the stock rear end... but preferably no longer than the edge. I've seen the pic of TOC8g's muffler and it looks nice. What are ideal tip and inlet sizes? 4 inch tip with 2.5 inlet?

And on a tangent... Tunable mufflers... what does that mean?

Thanks in advance. :idea:

99GalantES
    Quite honestly I would stay away from a 4" tip. In my opinion a galant can be modified for power and looks but having a larger muffler takes away from the attractivness of the galant. What I did to mine was measure the factory muffler and bought a Borla universal that was a damn near perfect fit. I also got the Borla resonated tip and it looks stylish but still has a good deep sound and provides performance.

Ask PinoyESV6 to measure his AC AutoTechnica for you. :laughing:
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Re: Ideal muffler dimensions...

Quote Originally Posted by dada one
    I've seen both TOC8g and PinoyESV6 rave about how AC Autotechnic Revolution mufflers are the mufflers to have for I4 8g Galants... Excellent price and sound. So I'm already sold with the AC Revolution muffler.

I'm just curious as to what dimensions are the best to look for in the muffler... Ideally just far enough to fit at the edge of the stock rear end... but preferably no longer than the edge. I've seen the pic of TOC8g's muffler and it looks nice. What are ideal tip and inlet sizes? 4 inch tip with 2.5 inlet?

And on a tangent... Tunable mufflers... what does that mean?

Thanks in advance. :idea:

a tunable muffler. thats pretty much means a muffler that allows you to change the exhaust note coming from it. it usually involves come kinda adjustable or removable baffle that goes in the muffler to control the the exhaust flow and change the exhaust note.

inlet size, well the stock piping is about 2.25" so try to get at least that size. 2.5" is a good size to get. they do make adaptors for really cheap so u can make that transition. also since the inlet is 2.5" it gives u a window of opportunity if you wanted to now or in the future to move to bigger piping.

outlet size, well thats personal preference. i have a 4 inch tip on my car and i like it cuz it fills in the gap nicely. with that said also be careful on how your muffler is hung on your car. if the tip is a rather large tipe like a 4 inch, the likelyhood of it touching the bumper and possibly meltiing it. so watch out for that.

Webhosting for less than $3 a month? put "pinoyesv6" as a promo code.

bboyck
    OK, yet again, just affirming what I figured (except what a tunable muffler was... I had no clue): Tip size is a personal preference, and 4 inch tips indeed are a bit big. I didn't know what the stock piping was, though... It used to be in a FAQ on the site, but since some transition is disappeared. Also had such vital information as the lug patterns and ect.

Thanks everybody for responding!

wmaharrisjr
    I have a oval tip on mine and to me it looks about perfect it's 3.25x3.75. I should get pics up for you in the next day or 2