The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Fuel smell?

Showing results 1 to 6 of 6

Fuel smell?

I seem to have a strong fuel smell coming from the interior vents. It's strong and the smell sticks to my clothes

Could it be a fuel line leak?

Maybe time for a new fuel filter?

from the vents? more than likely a fuel leak is it constant or only when the engine is running? if it's only when the engine is running you could have a leak on your fuel rail or the hard line going to it, pretty hard to guess but it shouldn't be hard to track down. If it's a pure gas smell like say takin a whiff from a gas can, then it's for sure a leak, if it's a "dilluted" gas smell might be an exaust leak.

I'd start first with SES codes even if the light isn't on, have it check just in case might have a stored code could point ya in the right direction, after that start at your injectors and work your way back looking for the leak, best advice i can give ya

Poison
    99 Galant ES I4 167k mi and still going strong

You are here entirely tooo much!! 4-G-rim's Avatar
    Check the fuel feed line to the fuel filter, filter itself, feed line from the filter to the rail and return line.

If you see no leaks there...make sure you aren't leaking fuel between the injectors and manifold.

1991 Galant VR4 1948/2000_________1996 Galant "S" 5 speed 2.4L turbo

Could it also be an old ass fuel filter that has never been replaced?

The thing looks like its a stock fuel filter. I bought this car not too long ago and i dont think they did regular maintence on the car at all

if it was the fuel filter you'd notice, sluggish performance, hard idleing..ect because the engine wouldn't be getting the right amount of fuel, prob wouldn't hurt to change it though
    Poison457
    99 ES 4G64 I4 189k miles and still going strong
    5spd, rear disk swaped,
    Quote Originally Posted by Abd al-Hazir View Post
    I am at a loss to explain the average skeleton's somewhat ludicrous mental predisposition, however. Perhaps the implausibility of its own existence makes the skeleton think it hilarious to hide in a barrel, cackling intermittently for some three hundred years until a victim happens by?

Yeah it is a little sluggish and the idle is a little off. Im gonna change the fuel filter and plugs