The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Low humming in left front tire at highway speed.

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Low humming in left front tire at highway speed.

Last weekend I hit a curb while exiting off the highway and blew out a tire. I had the tire replaced and rotated the rim to the back since the lip had a slight dent. It drove well except for the low humming at highway speed. I had a shop to check it out for bearing or frame damage and both checked out but i had to ge my brake pad and rotors fixed. I had this all done and I still get the noise.

Is there anything else that could be causing this that the shop missed? I took it to the dealership and a brake shop. Also am I at any risk driving around in this condition?
    sig too big

I wonder if you damaged the wheel bearing. I just had this same humming noise and had to change my wheel bearing a few days ago.
    "A mile of road takes you one mile...A mile of runway takes you anywhere."

When I had the shop check this out, they said it wasn't the bearing. It isn't very loud and almost sounds like road noise, except its localized in the front drivers side area.
    sig too big

might be the main bearing.... had a jetta a few years ago that started low and sounded like a deep bass tone when I replaced it

Rotate the tires on the left side, if it changes its a tire issue, if not, its the bearing. My guess is that the shop just doesn't know enough to go through the necessary motions to figure it out.

I might add it isn't a constant sound and seems to drop out sometimes. Other than the sound and slight vibration, the ride is smooth and it doesn't pull to one side. I jacked it up myself and did the wiggle test on the tire and there is no movement or play.

I will have it checked this weekend, but could anything else be the culprit?
    sig too big

you said you jack it up... do it again and put it on stands... grab a buddy and at idle in drive ( with the tires off the ground) turn the wheels to lock in both directions.... if the noise changes with angle it could be the knuckle...