The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Progress Springs *Last Minute Suggestion*

Showing results 1 to 18 of 18

Progress Springs *Last Minute Suggestion*

Okay I picked up my new springs yesterday and I am going to install them myself. I did a search. Yes I did a search and all I can find is how the ride was afterwards. What I would like to know is for those of you who did this yourself do you have any last minute suggestions for me to make the install alot smoother and where the hell can I find this tutorial that I keep hearing about but I can't seem to find a link.

Thank in advance

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

my ride is a little hard with the progress springs
    it got better with the recent Kyb Agx install
    I think the ride is also a little rough cause of the 40 series tires
    with the progress and my winter 15s on the ride was a better also
    hope that helps a little
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GalantSS)</div><div class='quotemain'>Hope this helps.
    http://www.spcperformance.com/PerfTechSect/PerfProjectCar/Mitsubishi/PerfTech_ProjMit_A.html</div>

Yeah I found that link. I am just going to go ahead and start. I can't wait any more. My ride has been to high for to long. Wish me luck.

Hopefully you have an air gun and a spring compressor. It'll be much easier that way. The installation is fairly straight forward. The hardest part is unbolting the bottoms of the front struts. There are two bolts for each assembly. They are on there really good.

For the front you need to unbolt the brake hose clamp, speed sensor harness clamp, and stabilizer link from the strut housing. Then unbolt the two bolts holding the bottom of the strut in. I would suspend the lower arm with wire first. After all that, unbolt the three nuts at the top to take out the strut assembly. The spring is easy to get off. You just compress it with a spring compressor and take off the jam nut at the top of the strut assembly and pull everything apart. Then just put everything back together with the new springs (and struts if you have those too).

For the rear, you just have the one bolt at the bottom and the 3 nuts at the top to get the shock assembly out. Notice the way the bushing at the bottom of the assembly is facing so you put the shock assembly back on the right way. The larger diameter of the bushing should face the outside of the car. As for removing the spring, it's the same as the front.

One thing is when you put the jam nut back on at the top of each assembly, do not use an air gun or it may not tighten securely. Also, watch how the spring is sitting on the perch and how you put the top back on the spring. If it looks crooked, it's probably wrong. Oh yeah, make sure you watch how the different pieces at the top of the assemblies are. The pieces like the bushings and washers need to be put back on in reverse order.

Front specs:

3 upper nuts - 32 ft-lb

stabilizer link nut - 29 ft-lb

2 lower bolts - 203-239 ft-lb

jam nut - 44-51 ft-lb

Rear specs:

3 upper nuts - 32 ft-lb

lower bolt - 72 ft-lb

jam nut - 15-18 ft-lb

I hope this helps you out, it took me a while to type it all.

Damn David where were you when I need you. We had a air gun but no spring compressor. We just wrapped up the strut with about two blankets and then let it just pop. Not something I recommened but I wasn't going to lay down $50.00 just to borrow a spring compressor.

Everything went pretty good. The hardest one was those four big ass bolts on the front struts. Nothing a whole lot of WD-40 couldn't take care of.

Well here are the pictures.

Ride isn't to bad but I know the springs will have to settle and I am not expecting my stock shocks to last to long. I still have to get a alignment. I am going to have to go Monday. The back sits a little lower than the front but that is because of my beat back there. I did keep the bump stops. I didn't want to cut them.

Black Magic
    nice drop :thumbsup:

looks good
    Jason - - cofounder of TGCNY
    click banner to enter the NY Chapter

2001 Galant ES
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Special Edition

Oh, well. I must have posted all the info just after you gave up on the thread. I would have cut the bump stops though. You are going to bottom out alot more now. Especially once the stock shocks/struts start wearing out. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Danger DANJ
    Oh, well. I must have posted all the info just after you gave up on the thread. I would have cut the bump stops though. You are going to bottom out alot more now. Especially once the stock shocks/struts start wearing out. Good luck!
    Yeah the ride is getting a little more bouncier but I will correct that next year when I start to really getting my car together. Thanks for the info though. Hopefully someone who does a search will pull it up and get a chance to use it.

2002gtz

Lowering project

:twisted: This is my first time posting here, but I've enjoyed all the messages. This is definently a great place to gather information before doing a project. As for me, I plan on installing some Eibach springs on my 2002 GTZ. I've read over the other messages and looked at the link for the project car. Besides installing the springs and having my car realigned, is there anything that I will need to do to make this project go smoothly? Any help would be appreciated.

K&N air filter
    Super blue headlights
    painted brake calibers

In the future:
    Eibach springs
    STB (unsure which one to get)
    who knows what else (whatever the wife allows me to get)

Tiptronic
    yo jason, the drop looks good bro :approve:

Re: Lowering project

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2002gtz)</div><div class='quotemain'>:twisted: This is my first time posting here, but I've enjoyed all the messages. Â*This is definently a great place to gather information before doing a project. Â*As for me, I plan on installing some Eibach springs on my 2002 GTZ. Â*I've read over the other messages and looked at the link for the project car. Â*Besides installing the springs and having my car realigned, is there anything that I will need to do to make this project go smoothly? Â*Any help would be appreciated.

K&N air filter
    Super blue headlights
    painted brake calibers

In the future:
    Eibach springs
    STB (unsure which one to get)
    who knows what else (whatever the wife allows me to get)</div>

Other than what you see here in this thread I can't think of anything else. Just make sure you have alot of WD-40 for those front bolts and make sure you have a air gun. You will also need a spring compressor but I will leave that one up to you. I didn't feel like dropping $50.00 to borrow one. I did it ghetto style myself.

2002gtz

Bought me some of them Eibach's

I just bought the Eibach Springs, they should be in in about a week. I got them from JC Whitney. Is it easier to install them with your car up on a lift or will a jack work just as well? I also cleared out my turn signal lights. That was a pain in the ass with the first one, but the second one went smooth as a baby's bottom. Does anybody have any suggestions for what kind of lights I could replace those ugly orange turn signal lights with?

b-boy_sky
    You can rent a spring compressor from auto zone....well buy it and return it. I think you have up to a year to return parts as long as you have a receipt.....here in arizona at least.....

Re: Bought me some of them Eibach's

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(2002gtz)</div><div class='quotemain'>I just bought the Eibach Springs, they should be in in about a week. Â*I got them from JC Whitney. Â*Is it easier to install them with your car up on a lift or will a jack work just as well? Â*I also cleared out my turn signal lights. Â*That was a pain in the ass with the first one, but the second one went smooth as a baby's bottom. Â*Does anybody have any suggestions for what kind of lights I could replace those ugly orange turn signal lights with?</div>

You can install the springs fine with a jack, that's what I did.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Prophet)</div><div class='quotemain'>Damn David where were you when I need you. Â*We had a air gun but no spring compressor. Â*We just wrapped up the strut with about two blankets and then let it just pop. Â*Not something I recommened but I wasn't going to lay down $50.00 just to borrow a spring compressor. Â*

Everything went pretty good. Â*The hardest one was those four big ass bolts on the front struts. Â*Nothing a whole lot of WD-40 couldn't take care of.

Well here are the pictures.

Ride isn't to bad but I know the springs will have to settle and I am not expecting my stock shocks to last to long. Â*I still have to get a alignment. Â*I am going to have to go Monday. Â*The back sits a little lower than the front but that is because of my beat back there. Â*I did keep the bump stops. Â*I didn't want to cut them.</div>

Hey Jason how much did the progress drop u in front, actuall measurement. Thanx
    Kevin
    2006 GIXXER 600

I can't give you a exact measurment because I never took a measurement from stock height.