The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oil Cap keeps coming loose and breaking?

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Oil Cap keeps coming loose and breaking?

So i noticed oil coming from under the oil cap and went ahead and replaced the oil cap with one from Autozone. It seemed to fit fine, nice and tight, no more oil leak.

Couple weeks later i notice the same thing, oil leaking from under the oil cap. I check the cap and it is loose to the touch. I try to tighten it, but it spins all the way around freely.

I figure what the hell and throw another new on on. Same thing happens, the cap fits nice and tight, after a couple of weeks I notice oil leaking. I got to check the cap and it even looser than the last one. I pull the cap off and try to see what the deal is and it breaks in my hand. The metal piece that locks under the valve cover just comes off taking a hunk of the plastic cap with it.

What is the deal here? Has anyone else had this problem?

Is the heat from the motor somehow warping and loosening the oil cap?

There's just no way I've gotten three bad caps in a row.

Should I just budget to buy a new cap every couple of weeks or what?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I would try and get an Mitsu one and see if it does that. Most aftermarket oil caps don't always work so well.

As sparda said. Try the Mitsu 1 :) The fitment of some aftermarket products sucks!

Ive gone through two on mine with the exact problems, let me know if you figure out what the deal is..... ill go buy a mitsu one soon

put a mitsu one on and be done with it.
    Your signature is against the rules too - Prophet

I the same problem, but mind does it right away. I can see the oil coming from the oil cap. I got a new cap and the oil is still leaking. What next a new valve cover.

if you still have the original mitsu cap, i would bend the metal things towards the top of the cap.. this would make a tighter seal. i dont know whats causing your problem but it just sounds like those new caps arent strong enough. anyways this is a weird problem lol.

Lancer/EvolutionX Rotor Glow Paint
    6g74 Forged Engine w/ hx40 turbo
    Eclipse GT 5 spd swapped

Rotor Glow Galant
    Daily Galant
    OZ Edition Eclipse