The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: coilovers or springs? 1999 galant

Showing results 1 to 17 of 17
    mitshu 3.0 V6

coilovers or springs? 1999 galant

okay im new to galants, but im going to order some 17 inch rims and i was wondering if some eibach or H&R springs would close the fender gap enough in between the wheels and the body of the car. Or do yall suggest that i just invest in some coilovers instead?

** Im not looking for an extreme drop just something to close the fender gap and not have my car sitting up too much thanks!**

blue8g
    how important is ride comfort and handling?

mitshu 3.0 V6
    i used to drive a jetta lol but i know coilovers are bad for places when there are bumps in the road but my main goal is to reduce the fender gap.

blue8g
    if you just want to lower a lil bit, go springs and struts too, that'll drop it more i think...

mitshu 3.0 V6
    alright cool is there any that you would recommend eibach, H&R, even tien?

Experienced TGC Member
    If your only goal is to lower the vehicle, than run some springs. However, if youd like to adjust your ride height Id suggest buying some coilovers.

Ive been running D2 Coilovers for a couple of months now. And Ill admit the ride quality has been somewhat sacrificed, but the handling is sooooo much better. I dont race at all. But when going into corners, the car feels like its on rails. Ive never had a spring & shock/strut setup. Ive had stock and now Im on coilovers. And for the money spent, Im well satisfied.

You are here entirely tooo much!! beam514's Avatar
    If you can get a hold of Progress springs, those will give you the biggest drop. :)
    I am on Progress. Here are some pics
    http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...4/IMG_1993.jpg
    http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/c...IMG_1771-1.jpg

blue8g
    yep, i believe they are 2.2 in front and 1.8 inches in back

btw get them from wesellcarparts.com you can get them for 170 shipped there..

Tein S-techs give a nice drop too, u'll be happy with it

Quote Originally Posted by QnzMostWanted View Post
    Tein S-techs give a nice drop too, u'll be happy with it
    Yea I just installed a set of S-Techs, and Im very satisfied with them overall. With stock struts, I have about a 3 finger gap between the front wheel and the fender. The ride quality is a tad bit rougher than stock, but is very tolerable. Im not too knowledgeable of coilovers, but I do know that although they are adjustable, you may end up with a rougher ride

To get rid of all or most of the fender gap up front, Progress and Tein springs are your best bet... possibly Megan. I have H&R springs with KYB AGX struts/shocks and the ride is nice, but there is still some fender gap up front. I had Progress springs many years ago and they were pretty good as well. Whatever springs you choose, go with a set of KYB AGX struts/shocks.

mitshu 3.0 V6
    alright thanks everyone for the info i look to do mine in the next coming weeks

I'm on Tein S-tech springs, and KYB Gr-2's. A lot of members have this setup, and all of them seem to be happy with the setup so far. It's a nice drop, and handling is greatly improved.

Here are some pics of mine:

Hi there, i'm new @ this, and i'm looking for a good suspensions setup.
    I live in puerto rico and there's a lot of holes, bumps in the road, and if very upset somethings, i had to change my factory strut/shock a couple of times, i'm riding on 18'' wheels, and have a 1.8 drop front and 2.0 rear.
    ride quality is very important to me, due this is my daily car, and i was thinking on K-sport coilovers or maybe D2. what is my best option?
    I have a friend that have KYB GRX with Eibach pro springs and he says that he don't have any problem, but if i'm spending $500 in the GRX and almost $300 in the Eibach it will worth it? or should it go with the coilovers?
    Thanks guys, also, i have to think in my trunk, i have a lot of weight in it, i have 2 kickers solobaric L5, 2 batterys and 3 amps, and thats a lot of weight in there...
    Last edited by eddy0253; 12-17-2009 at 10:36 AM

Quote Originally Posted by blue8g View Post
    if you just want to lower a lil bit, go springs and struts too, that'll drop it more i think...
    drop it more than what?

blue8g
    ^i have no idea i just looked at that post again and thought the same thing to myself

Quote Originally Posted by eddy0253 View Post
    Hi there, i'm new @ this, and i'm looking for a good suspensions setup.
    I live in puerto rico and there's a lot of holes, bumps in the road, and if very upset somethings, i had to change my factory strut/shock a couple of times, i'm riding on 18'' wheels, and have a 1.8 drop front and 2.0 rear.
    ride quality is very important to me, due this is my daily car, and i was thinking on K-sport coilovers or maybe D2. what is my best option?
    I have a friend that have KYB GRX with Eibach pro springs and he says that he don't have any problem, but if i'm spending $500 in the GRX and almost $300 in the Eibach it will worth it? or should it go with the coilovers?
    Thanks guys, also, i have to think in my trunk, i have a lot of weight in it, i have 2 kickers solobaric L5, 2 batterys and 3 amps, and thats a lot of weight in there...
    K-Sport and D2 coilovers are both good options. And they aren't cheap sleeve style ones either. Both have alot of play with them as far as adjustments. I only know one Galant riding around on K-Sports and he was banned, but there are a few guys on here with D2's and they seem to like them. It's all about your preference, whether it be appearance, performance, or price.