The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Parts needed..Help

Showing results 1 to 7 of 7

Parts needed..Help

I've got the head pulled off the block and it is now sitting on the workbench in the garage. I'm a little tight on money so I'm slowly buying the parts I need to replace the head gasket and both manifold gaskets. All of this originated from a leaky water pump, but I found the problem a little too late which resulted int he head gasket blowing. I have a couple of questions.

1st question is regarding the head bolts. I called the Mitsubishi dealership to order some new head bolts and the service manager told me I could reuse the ones for the Galant..but if I had an Eclipse I would have to buy new ones. This didn't make a whole lot of sense to me since I'm fairly sure the Galant head bolts are TTY as well.

2nd question is regarding the timing and belt side of the motor. I'm paying someone to do the timing, replace the water pump, and put all of the new belts on. Can someone give me a running list of all of the belts I will need to purchase and other miscellaneous parts like which tensioners I will need to replace and which ones I can reuse.

I'm going to be taking the head to a machine shop to be checked for warping, if warped I'll have the head decked and I'm also going to have them dismantle the heads and clean the hell out of them and the valves. Better safe than sorry.

I'll also be replacing the front and rear motor mounts to get rid of the horrible vibration due to the bad mounts. Also, I have a crack in my exhaust manifold. I'm not going to ghetto rig it and put JB weld over the crack, I was either going to get one from a junkyard or buy a set of headers. What would be the better choice?

So far the list of things I need to purchase(everything since I'm a broke college kid)

Head gasket(Mitsubishi OEM, stealership)
    Intake manifold gasket(Mitsubishi OEM, stealership)
    Exhaust manifold gasket(Mitsubishi OEM, stealership)
    head bolts(maybe? If so, OEM or aftermarket?)
    timing belt(Gatorback)
    water pump to power steering accessory belt(Gatorback)
    water pump to alternator accessory belt(Gatorback)
    A/C compressor and idler belt(Gatorback)
    water pump(Mitsubishi OEM, stealership)
    NGK V-Power Copper plugs
    NGK plug wires
    front and rear motor mounts(should I go with OEM or does it matter really?)
    new coolant
    new oil(Castrol GTX 10w-30)

I think I have everything there, if I am missing anything, please let me know. With my income tax coming soon I should be able to buy most of the parts and get the head and manifolds put back on the car and take it to get timed and what not.
    Last edited by The Kent; 01-20-2010 at 09:04 PM

briggs
    intake manifold at autozone is like $7.00, pretty sure you can get an exhaust too for much cheaper. If your tight on money you can look into putting in prothane engine mounts or pulling a set from a salvage yard. both options cheaper than OEM.

Arp head "studs" not bolts

Quote Originally Posted by briggs View Post
    intake manifold at autozone is like $7.00, pretty sure you can get an exhaust too for much cheaper. If your tight on money you can look into putting in prothane engine mounts or pulling a set from a salvage yard. both options cheaper than OEM.
    or using window weld

ARP are head studs, which use Allen key to put it in and a nut and washer over it.
    OEM is head bolts, which are what you should pull out.

q2. Get the timing belt kit, which should include t-belt, balance shaft belt, both tensioner and idler pulley.
    of course. 3 acc belt. water pump/alter, ps/water pump and ac (if you have ac)

you should get the head gasket set than going one by one.
    Last edited by kamenfaiz; 01-21-2010 at 12:04 AM
    http://www.gasketer.ecrater.com/
    get you OEM parts with low price

everything comes in kits. Gasket master kit set, t-belt kit set and a water pump for around 120. youre gonna wait a week, but its all worth it.
    God created turbo lag to give the v8's a brief moment of hope.

Build Thread

You are here entirely tooo much!!
    i have all of that nnew, let me know.

Not how fast your car goes but how good u drive going fast.
    Drive It Like You Stole It!
    7G Erubini Body Kit for sale
    http://thegalantcenter.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=57678

Ok... So from what I gather I need to get:
    Gasket master kit
    Timing belt kit
    ARP head studs(And for the record, I said head bolts, aka OEM, I know that ARP are studs)
    water pump
    NGK V-Power Copper plugs
    NGK plug wires
    front and rear motor mounts(should I go with OEM or does it matter really?)
    new coolant
    new oil(Castrol GTX 10w-30)

I'd like to use as much OEM stuff as possible though because I don't want to go through all of this bullshit and then have something fail on me due to it being a cheap quality replacement item.

Also, never answered my question as to whether or not the head bolts needed to be replaced. Either way, I'm going to replace them with some ARP studs, but I'd like to have the replacement information just for the sake of knowing.

I don't need to replace the mounts right away, my primary objective is to get the car up and running again. I can deal with the minor vibration for a week or two after the car is running.
    Last edited by The Kent; 01-21-2010 at 09:09 PM