The Galant Center - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Warped rotors again!?!?!?!

Showing results 1 to 8 of 8

Warped rotors again!?!?!?!

Okay this is getting just a little irratating. Today I got the same metal grinding (sp?) on metal sound again. Warped rotors or some thing else? Manybrews I would really like you opinion on this. I ain't taking it to the dealer because I changed it out with some brembo rotors and there just going to be dicks about it again. I really need you guys help here. I want to solve the problem once and for all.

www.edelhausrottweilers.com

Drama? I handle 150lb rotties all day, I can handle your drama...

Metal on metal grinding sounds more like pads than warped rotors Jason. Do you have the high speed vibration normally that occurs when the rotors warp? Were the pads replaced correctly and are they the right size? I got the Brembo with the Axxis metal pads from Race Concepts and have had no problem since then.

Note: Drilled and slotted rotors will emit some more noise than non slotted rotors, but this is normal. Yes, you can hear the pad contacting the rotor, but the additional noise is the dissipation of heat and dust caused by the slots passing the pads. I have that but had my mechanic check it and found everything to be fine.

Just my experience. Hopefully it may help you out.
    Chip

2000 Basalt Black Metallic GTZ
    (Paint Code: Porsche LC9Z)

Genuine experience carries a lot more credibility than the ability to answer a question.

Quote Originally Posted by Fishboy55
    Metal on metal grinding sounds more like pads than warped rotors Jason. Do you have the high speed vibration normally that occurs when the rotors warp? Were the pads replaced correctly and are they the right size? I got the Brembo with the Axxis metal pads from Race Concepts and have had no problem since then.

Note: Drilled and slotted rotors will emit some more noise than non slotted rotors, but this is normal. Yes, you can hear the pad contacting the rotor, but the additional noise is the dissipation of heat and dust caused by the slots passing the pads. I have that but had my mechanic check it and found everything to be fine.

Just my experience. Hopefully it may help you out.
    Yeah I checked the pads and I still have alot left. I got to thinking maybe that it was the indicators on them. I am going to check them again today. Maybe I was wrong. I don't have the vibration as far as I can tell. I didn't have that vibration when I have the OEM warped either though. As for the correct pads I checked that before I even put them on. You got to sometimes companies send you the wrong pair. I don't know this is getting a little frustrating.

Hey Prophet, did you check your emergency brakes....mine were like that after I change to the brembo rotors.....just need to change the shoes in the back hub and the sound went away.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ed
    Hey Prophet, did you check your emergency brakes....mine were like that after I change to the brembo rotors.....just need to change the shoes in the back hub and the sound went away.....
    I was thinking that too. Maybe the backs where going out but the sound is coming from the front and I even went as far as opening the door while driving and stoping just to hear where the sound was coming from. I only hear it from the back and it feels like it is coming from the front. How long do the rears usually last?

D03GTZ
    have your drums machined or replaced and shoes if there isnt any material remaining. if you have plenty of pad remaining in front then the indicators(squeel tab) will not be the proplem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(D03GTZ)</div><div class='quotemain'>have your drums machined or replaced and shoes if there isnt any material remaining. if you have plenty of pad remaining in front then the indicators(squeel tab) will not be the proplem.</div>

Well today I didn't get the sound. It did act like it was going to start a couple times when I was stoping at a stop sign but it only sounds like this when I brake slowly. When I brake firm and hard it doesn't.

So you guys are thinking that it is the rear drums. How long should they last?

CT_GalantV6
    Are you getting any scoring on the rotors?? I had the grinding noise last fall , but only at highway speeds. The front pads started to carve deep groves into my front rotors. I probably let it go longer than I should have but because of the stock rim/hubcap I couldn't see what was going on until I removed the tire. It was so bad, I didnt even bother to get the rotors turned. I had to buy brand new rotors and pads. The grinding has never returned since. I have noticed some shaking during highway braking in the last month or so, indicating that once again I have the 'warped rotor' syndrome.

It was kinda an emergency/can't wait brake job so I went to Mitsu and used stock replacement Mitsu Pads and Mitsu rotors. I think this time I will go for the slotted/drilled rotors.